• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App to Backup exactly as phone is now?

The whole shebang....bookmarks, contacts, apps, settings, etc etc. I want to give z4root a shot to get rid of some of the stock apps to free up some space but want some insurance in case I accidentally get rid of something I shouldn't have.

Thanks!

If you want to make a "system state" backup (nandroid) of your phone you need something like ROM Manager, which as you might expect needs root. You can actually make backups and export them from your SD card to your PC/Mac/whatever.

Titanium Backup is excellent for backing up apps, their data and system data, but if it does system state backups like ROM Manager that's a new one on me. Not saying it doesn't, but most who install custom ROM's and such use ROM Manager for this task.

ROM Manager - Android app on AppBrain

Titanium Backup ? root - Android app on AppBrain

Upvote 0
Well, if it does, tell me how to apply it? I've spent the better part of two days getting my phone back to normal after the meltdown I've mentioned in other posts. I had to do a factory reset. Titanium Backup on my rooted phone got me back my apps, some of my data, but none of my customizations. Using BackupMan on the Palm the unit would be returned precisely as it was, no adjustments required. If I didn't use TB properly I'd love to know how to do it better next time.

Upvote 0
Well, if it does, tell me how to apply it? I've spent the better part of two days getting my phone back to normal after the meltdown I've mentioned in other posts. I had to do a factory reset. Titanium Backup on my rooted phone got me back my apps, some of my data, but none of my customizations. Using BackupMan on the Palm the unit would be returned precisely as it was, no adjustments required. If I didn't use TB properly I'd love to know how to do it better next time.

Titanium will only back up apps and data. To do the type of backup and restore that you are talking about you need to do nandroid backup from the recovery panel or use ROM Manager. This backs up everything from the apps on down to the settings.

Upvote 0
Titanium will only back up apps and data. To do the type of backup and restore that you are talking about you need to do nandroid backup from the recovery panel or use ROM Manager. This backs up everything from the apps on down to the settings.

Titanium can also backup system data, but I've never really used it for that. I flash custom ROM's and after installing a new ROM it's a bad idea to restore system data from a previous ROM. Things can get ugly at that point. If used very selectively however you can restore things like Bluetooth and WiFi settings.

Upvote 0
I use MyBackUpPro and I really like it, but it does not save information that is inside the app itself. I have the ColorNote app and used to to write notes. When I reset my phone I lost the notes and check lists I already had saved. Keep that in mind :)

Indeed. With respect to app data, Titanium is second to none. It's never failed to restore my apps+data. Very easy to do with the batch mode available in the Pro version.

Upvote 0
I just let my phone run its course in restoring itself the froyo way, have TB restore what apps froyo didn't do on its own.

After that the trick is to open TB>menu>batch>restore missing apps+all system data>data only

After doing that restart the phone. Every time I've done that, all my settings revert to the last full backup down to the CM6.1 notification bar power toggle widget settings.

Then I restore my Launcher Pro settings and I'm just left with setting up the non-LP widgets.

Reactions: reinbeau
Upvote 0
Well, then obviously I've done something wrong. It's all a learning process for me anyways. I'm not flashing any custom ROMs, all I want is the ability to restore, perfectly, if I need to, with basically one click. It really should be that simple.
As others have mentioned, what you need is a nandroid. I'm not sure about how things work on your phone, but if you installed Clockworkmod Recovery during the rooting process you should be able to do it from there (in current versions the option is now called "backup", not "nandroid", which causes frequent confusion). Or you can make the backup using ROM Manager - it's the same thing in the end. Anyway, a nandroid provides a snapshot of your entire system at the time you made the backup.

The usual strategy is to do a nandroid before changing ROMs or making other major changes, and just after rooting or flashing a ROM, and then schedule Titanium to back up your current assortment of apps at regular intervals. That way you can restore the basic configuration from the nandroid, and update subsequent changes from Titanium. Of course there's nothing to stop you from making frequent nandroids instead, but they eat up a lot of space, and it has to be done manually.

Hope this helps. :)

P.S. Another advantage of the two-pronged approach is that you can flash a different ROM and still get your apps back in their most recent configuration using Titanium. With just the nandroid that wouldn't be possible.

Reactions: reinbeau
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones