• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App to block all data except picture msgs?

Shame as i wanted this for my daughter so she can recieve picture messages,I made a post in the summer and have to accept if we want these phones and have mms then we just have to know that all/most apps will be using data. So for her she cant have MMS as packet data is turned off.

Upvote 0
Seems like it should be possible unless this app i found doesn't do what it says it will do. The app, 3G Watchdog, claims it will block all data once your preset data limit is reached, but there is a check box to keep MMS messages enabled after the limit is reached.

The problem with this app is it won't let me set the data limit to 0. It has a minimum of 100kb. If this app would allow a minimum of 0 then it would work.

If this app has that check box then why can't a simple data on/off app have the same check box???

Upvote 0
I don't know how well this works. I never tried it.
Settings > Data Usage > select the mobile tab

You will see a list of apps below that shows how much mobile data each app has already used. Click that app icon in the list and scroll to the bottom. Check "Restrict background data".

Sadly, I think this is a Whack-A-Mole solution. As only apps that have used mobile data will show up and then you have to whack 'em before they use too much. The fewer apps she has on her phone the better.

Upvote 0
From what I see, it 3G watchdog can't set data block to 0 because well, MMS is also data. Setting it to zero means turning data off, which can't be done because it will also turn MMS off. It should remain on. 3G watchdog will just act like a firewall where in when an app tries to access data, it blocks it. And the only app allowed to access data would be MMS/SMS app. I don't know how your carrier charges you, but this won't let you avoid data charges unless they charge separate for MMS. Some carriers in certain countries charge MMS as part of data if I remember correctly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones