1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

App to change preferred network type

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by einerlei, Jul 20, 2011.

1. einerlei

einerlei Lurker
    None

Jul 20, 2011
    Hi!
    I'm having the problem that I cannot set different network types on my phone. It's always on 3g, that is very battery consuming. My girlfriend has the exact same phone. The only difference is, that I got a branded one from Three network (My girlfriend has a original phone). They obviously removed the menu entry "Use only 2G networks".
    Dialing the number *#*#4636#*#* gets me to the testing "Testing" application, where it was once possible to set the network mode. This, however, is not working for my, nor my girlfriends phone. I think this has something to do with that our smartphones run android froyo (2.2). Maybe something has changed there from earlier versions.
    However, I looked further in the net and found some guys writing about setting the network type directly in the file /system/build.prop. Although, the file exists, such entry to do so is not existent. I think the corresponding entry maybe moved to the internal database or so.

Do you guys maybe know some way to set the network type? Do you maybe know where the info is stored? Or maybe know a application that can do that? Most apps I've found are only shortcuts to the menu entry. That, of course, does not work, since the entry is not there.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisement