1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

App to consume exactly 1kb of data

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by gladzon, Feb 12, 2016.

1. gladzon

gladzon Lurker

Can anyone suggest an App which I can use to trigger a service which will consume exactly 1kb of data.

Why I need it: I am holding a prepaid mobile connection from India which gets deactivated if I don't use it for 90 days. Since I primarily reside outside India and use this number to get incoming SMSs like OTP etc., I need to keep this connection always active.

Problem is the incoming SMS is not considered for usage. I am forced to do an outgoing call or sms (expensive since roaming) to establish continuity of usage. However I can consume data in roaming which can be considered as usage.

Since data consumption on roaming is also expensive I need an app which will allow me to consume exactly 1KB of data (or maximum 10KBs) so that I get charged nominally yet am able to retain my connection.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

Couldn't you use a terminal emulator and just ping a url? I'd have to try it to test, but it seems like it should work and consume minimal data.

3. gladzon

gladzon Lurker

Thanks for the quick reply. I am not a techy but yes if there were an App which could help me do it, it would be extremely useful.

4. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert

Just download of of the many speed test apps out their and use it once a month.

Unforgiven likes this.
  5. Unforgiven

6. gladzon

gladzon Lurker

How much data will a typical speed test consume ?

7. Unforgiven

I think they do several MB both up and down. That's why I thought of the ping test. You can control how much data you ping with using some of the flags. The command I gave above:
    Code (Text):
    1. ping -c 5 google.com
    used 84 bytes of data and sent it 5 times (the "-c 5" flag did the 5 times). You can use other flags to change the amount of data as well. if you just type "ping" and hit enter it will give a list of the flags. I'd test them out on WiFi to get the exact result you desire.
    Screenshot_2016-02-12-13-04-02.png

8. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Once you get the right command worked out, you could then use an automation tool of your choice (Tasker, Automate, AutomateIt, MacroDroid, etc) to run it on a regular basis without requiring you to manually enter the command each time. :thumbsupdroid: