• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App to launch app & perform finger-tap sequence?

RazzMaTazz

Android Expert
Jan 28, 2011
I don't think this is technically possible on Android (let alone v2.3) but just in case...

I want an app (like Tasker, Utter, et al) that can launch another app and then also essentially make selections in that app as though it were finger-tapping the launched app. I haven't tried Tasker but I use Utter, and it can launch apps or any "activities" that are exposed by such apps, but in most cases, the activities that I want to perform are not exposed.

One example... I have Chamberlain MyQ garage-door-opener app. After you open the app. It displays a garage door icon. You have to tap the garage door icon to open the door, but there is no "open door" activity that is exposed (at least not that Utter can see). When I'm 2 blocks away from my house, I'd like to be able to tap a shortcut (or ideally, hit the Bluetooth button on my car stereo and tell some app, "Open garage door") whereupon it would launch the Chamberlain MyQ app, wait 5 seconds, and then essentially finger-tap the big door icon in the middle of the screen. (Utter can launch the app by voice/Bluetooth, but Utter can't do the finger-tap part.)

FYI: I recall that Windows (98?) implemented something like that decades ago were you could essentially record a series of key-presses and mouse-clicks, save it all as a command or icon, and then run that command or tap that icon to perform those tasks.

Upvote 0
Utter also lets you create commands that issue shell commands (if you're rooted, which I am) but I tried it and it wouldn't accept a shell command, I guess because that's only available on Android 4.1.1 and above (as Lordvincent pointed out).

Maybe what I'm asking is impossible for Android 2.3?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones