• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App to lock folders & their contents

charles_s

Jan 6, 2015
I have found it very helpful to set up my Android using categorized folders on the home screen: System Utilities, GPS-based apps, Audio Streaming, Video Streaming, Browsers, News, Games, Books / Magazines, etc. I also use these to keep links, e. g. for news sites, science blogs, etc. This is easy to set up and very efficient, I have found.

The problem is that it is extremely easy to accidentally delete a whole folder (or sometimes a single icon inside one). An errant straying finger across the screen and a whole folder, which might have twenty icons in it, is gone instantly, with no confirmation prompt, and no clue even as to what has just gone. I can't count how many times this has happened. I then have to try and reconstruct what went missing from memory. Sometimes I will even have to try and figure out which folder it was (yesterday it was Browsers, with Internet, Chrome, Firefox, Dolphin, etc.) It is worse in the case of icons that are just links because these don't even appear in Apps ... they are well and truly gone when deleted.

Why is it, I am wondering, that of the thousands of Android apps out there, there is not one that addresses this ? There are apps to lock apps, contacts, photos, music, display, etc. none of which I need. There are apps to confirm phone calls before you make them. Nothing to lock folders. Nothing, either, that will easily and effectively back up and restore their contents if they are deleted. Nothing to add a confirmation prompt before deletion.

Am I the only Android user in the world who deals with this frustration ?

Would appreciate any input.

Charles

Wonderful ! Had not thought of that but it sounds great. Just a few questions: do you know if this will work with Android 5.1.1, which is what I have got (on Note 4) ? Will it also work with Android 5.o on Note 3 (my second phone) ? If I install, can I keep the existing folder configuration (will it convert them over ?) or do I have to recreate them ? If it does not convert them, is there a way that I can back up the existing folder configuration and restore it or regenerate it with the new launcher ?

Thanks for your help; it is appreciated.

Charles

Upvote 0
I have looked at Nova Launcher in the app store; it says there that it can import layout "from most popular launchers". Has anyone tried this & can confirm that it works ?
2nd question: Is there a way to go back if I don't like it or it's flaky, etc ? Is there a setting that confirms which Launcher is going to be used ? (on mine, there is something under Default Applications called Home and it is set at the moment to TouchWizHome, which is I guess a Samsung app... would resetting be as simple as changing this ?)
If you (or anyone) knows of apps that can backup and restore folder settings, that would be great. But I presume this would have to be a characteristic of the launcher ? Never realized that this was a separate category of program.
Thanks again for your help

Charles

Upvote 0
Is there a setting that confirms which Launcher is going to be used ? (on mine, there is something under Default Applications called Home and it is set at the moment to TouchWizHome, which is I guess a Samsung app... would resetting be as simple as changing this ?)

Yes, changing your launcher is as easy as changing the Home under settings.

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones