• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App to monitor data usage per app

Not found anything that does it directly but try 'Spare Parts' and look at the battery history section. You can then choose network usage. It doesn't give data usage but does give you an idea which apps are transmitting/receiving the most if you have found an issue at the total level from other apps. I found a couple of heavy data using apps this way myself.

Upvote 0
Bump.

I was going to start a new thread, and found this. I'm very interested in something that would do this. I contacted SPB about whether they had any plans to port their WinMo app to Android, and they (effectively) said no.

I've been searching for this hard and am (amazingly) still coming up empty.

Upvote 0
Understood. Thanks.

Just a thought: I notice that the system processes don't appear in the list (which is fine with me.) But I wonder whether this might be adding to the differences that you're seeing between TrafficStats and 3G Watchdog.

I guess that could have a bearing. But something is chomping at my data useage and i can't find out what it is. Its bugging me. 6mb today and i've not used the phone! Updates are all turned off.

Upvote 0
Also looking for something to locate an app that might be eating a ton of data for 2.1. Currently on an unlimited plan but it really is just bugging us. I seem to average about 5gb a month while my better half eats up 20gb consistently the past few months. He hardly uses his internet so we can only assume it's an app but have no idea where to start.

Just tried installing 3g watchdog and the phone has been sitting next to me unused for the last half hour. So far it's used 48.1kb (24.3 received, 23.7 transmitted). Not sure how to find *what* is doing that though.

Upvote 0
If you guys are really as desperate as you sound, then you just need to take some time and figure it out on your own.

1) Check data usage. Disable mobile data. Wait 1 hour. Check data usage again.

(This is just a control check, to make sure the numbers you are looking at are actually from mobile data and not WiFi or other things.)

2) Uninstall all downloaded apps. (You can backup the apk files to the SD card first.) Remove all widgets, and return to a "clean" home screen interface. Monitor data usage in this state for another hour.

(This will set your baseline. How much your system and default apps are using.)

3) Re-install 2-3 apps at a time. Each time you reinstall a few, monitor your data usage for at least an hours.

Repeat step 3 until you see your data usage spike. That will narrow down which app is causing the problem, and you can investigate them individually from there.

Yeah, I know, it takes some time. If it is really that important to you though, then you need to put in the effort.

Or, write your own app :)

Upvote 0
FYI
I tried removing all add on apps and still had significant traffic (~100+ megs per day) and the base was still getting warm. So, I did a hard reset removing everything. The problem went away. I have a G1, SW rev 1.6. Unfortunately now I can longer download Skype, I am told I need an Android with G3, which of course is what my phone is. Will take that to another thread. Thanks all for your help and advice.

Upvote 0
I use 3G Watchdog. It's got great configurable options, alerts, and a useful widget. You can download it from the Market.

I know you can't resist spamming your blog site all over the forums here lately (7 of your 8 last site posts were nothing more than mentioning it), but please actually read the thread topic. I repeat:

App to monitor data usage per app

See the part in red. 3G Watchdog can't track per-app. So it is not applicable to this topic.

Rather ironic that you're linking to a "review" that you wrote for it, so if you reviewed it you should be quite aware that it would not suit the OP's stated needs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones