1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support App update notifications

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by chowmailap, Sep 26, 2011.

1. chowmailap

chowmailap Well-Known Member
    None

May 3, 2011
    For some reason I am not receiving app update notifications anymore. I don't even see available updates when I check My Apps in the market. Sometimes ill read about an update for an app that I have on engadget. When I actually find the individual app in the market it gives the option to update. Update notifications are on in the market settings. Anyone else having this issue??

Advertisement

2. WolfmanRobby

WolfmanRobby Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    Systems Admin.
    Atlanta, GA
    I was hoping the GB update, or the new market would fix this. But, my updates never fire off unless I reboot the phone. Then, they pop up right when it reboots.

I see the same behavior on my tablet, and on my previous tablet.

Here's a kicker for you. Since the new market came out, I'll go into "My Apps" on the market, it will show an app has an update. But, no Update button on the list. Click the app, and still no update button, just OPEN or UNINSTALL.

On the phone side, I came from BB to the Atrix, and I can say, if there is ONE thing RIM has right, it's getting PUSH notifications to work. It's probably because they run everything through their BIS servers (For consumers - Corp users go through a BES server, but, you get my point).

I think push notifications on the Android platform still needs a lot of work.

I also see it with Facebook notifications, games like "Words with friends"... just about any app that depends on a push notification. About the only apps that properly show notifications are those that POLL a server/service for them (Like UberSocial polls Twitter).

3. chowmailap

None

May 3, 2011
    Thanks for the quick reply. I rebooted and did not receive any notifications. Checked My Apps in the market and it did not show anything had an available update. Then searched for the Google + app and there was an option to update. Very frustrating.

4. WolfmanRobby

WolfmanRobby Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    Systems Admin.
    Atlanta, GA
    It's a known issue in the Android OS as a whole, not just our phones. It's been an off and on thing for years now. You would think that would motivate Google to get it fixed. Check the last link and vote in the poll. It looks like about a third of the people have this issue.

Issue 2464 - android - Market doesn't show update notifications - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Android Market: App Update Notifications Broken?

http://androidforums.com/android-ap...-market-you-getting-update-notifications.html

5. chowmailap

None

May 3, 2011

Thanks for the info....

6. chowmailap

None

May 3, 2011
    I just downloaded the app Atrackdog after seeing a lot of feedback about it in the links u posted. Hopefully it solves this issue.

*update: ran atrackdog, 13 apps were due for update. All successful. Definitely recommend this app