1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support App Updates - Can they be "automatic"?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Larryf, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Larryf

Larryf Active Member

Jul 18, 2010
    I thought there was a way to set the Droid to "automatically" download and install updates to apps that were on the phone.

I currently have to go into the Market app, click on Menu -> Downloads and see if any are marked 'Update Available' and update each one.

Is there a way to automate this or at least get a pop-up notification that an update is available?

Advertisement

2. defkorn

defkorn Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    With Android 2.2 and the new market app it has you can turn on automatic updates for certain apps or all of them. Some still require a manual update, I'm not sure why (maybe a change in permissions, etc?)

You should get a notification when there are updates to apps via notification bar. I'm not sure what triggers a notification to be sent, but I would imagine it is related to syncing. I notice I get notifed when there are at least 3 or 4 updates available, so maybe its just trying to group them together?

3. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Elkridge, Maryland
    I usually only get a notification for updates after I visit the market

4. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Auto-updates won't come until 2.2.

Another change with apps in 2.2 is the ability to "Update All", like the iOS devices. No more having to update one at a time manually.

5. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Queens, New York
    Yes, you're forced to do manual updates in Froyo only when there's a change in permissions.

I'm not sure about this either, but I think that the Android Market might poll for updates at set intervals, and by opening the Market you're doing a manual poll for updates in between those intervals. Just a guess.