• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App updates cause problems with icons, etc.

Oct 26, 2009
hey guys, New to the forum but have had my Sprint hero for 2 weeks now.

Love the phone but am curious about a new found problem or whatever I recently found.

I haven't done anything crazy to the phone, just installed a few apps... The main ones of concern are iMusic and Handcent sms.

Those installed great, and work wonderfully. Recently an update came out for handcent to update to 2.9.4, and then 2.9.4.1. The first one 2.9.4 update worked great and in the "about" section showed as such. When my phone rebooted, I noticed an ugly "x" icon where the handcent was. It still opens and runs the app fine, but in the about section it reverted to the previous version. I uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted... same problem. I contacted the dev so updated to 2.4.8.1 which "fixed" it, but I still have the same issue.

Now an update came out for iMusic and that icon is now gone and replaced with an ugly grey star. App still works great but whats the deal.

Is something messed up with my hero or something. I'm really not keen on hard resetting my hero and losing all data. And I'm too new to the platform to even know how to do that, or backup my data and possibly settings.

Any of you have any of the same problems and/or know of a fix. I searched but couldn't find anything.

I also use atrackdog and it keeps telling me updates are available and my installed versions for handcent is 2.9.4. I dont get this at all... its like it installs and works for that time, then once i reboot, it reverts to 2.9.4 again...

Thanks again guys

Yes i have. In fact, in the all programs area, its the same icon. Even if I uninstall and reboot, the reinstall the fresh copy... it still reverts to an old version when I reboot. I wonder if somehow my sd card is doing something. I never formatted it from my old phone and I just stuck it in and started using it. I remember seeing some folders the Hero created on it but I am not sure it could be tied to this.

Might do a reset tonight and just install those two programs, reboot, then hope it sticks....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones