1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

App updates fail with Package File Is Invalid error

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by pcouillez, Aug 8, 2013.

1. pcouillez

pcouillez Lurker

Since about a week, I have issue on both my phone and tablet to update apps.

For about half of them, I get the error message Error, Package File is Invalid.

I even tried to unsinstall an app and reinstall it and I get the same error.

Has anyone encountered that issue before?

Any help appreciated.

Thank you

Phil

Advertisement

2. Best Answer:
    Post #12 by palmtree5, Aug 8, 2013 (1 points)
  3. monkeytools

monkeytools Well-Known Member

Hi not sure if there is a bad update to the play store. but yes i had an update this morning that gave me the same message. it was an update for allshare on my sprint galaxy s lll. Hope this helps you.

4. pcouillez

pcouillez Lurker

Thanks.

I am suspicious because now, I have 4 or 5 apps that are failing to update

5. I have two apps saying the same thing right now - FB Messenger and Samsung Link.

6. pcouillez

pcouillez Lurker

So far I have MX Player, Word with Friends, Netflix, and Hobbit Kingdoms

I was able to update FB Messenger this morning

7. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Android Expert

Play Store is 'playing' up with me as well, I get this randomly with updates and also get 'no connection retry' so I'm assuming Play is once again going through its usual bug-infested routine. Also having issues finding apps I recently downloaded. Seems over half of Play's database is missing. Many apps I've downloaded with it over the last few days doesn't seem to be listed.

8. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Yup...welcome to the club. :rolleyes:

9. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I figured so as well.
    At the moment as I write this, desktop Play is not showing any apps I've installed, it just has the arrow thing going round and round and round and round.... and has been like that for the last 15 minutes.

Google Play --->:bike:<--- mikedt

Say something like Google Docs or Google Music started acting up like this. Always makes me think, I wouldn't want to be dependant on "the cloud" :rolleyes: for my stuff or anything important.

BecomingDeath likes this.
  10. nickdalzell

Ironically none of the other Play apps (Books, Music, etc) ever have problems

11. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

I read on Google plus that it's an issue with the play store update.

Someone posted logging out of your Google account, clearing play store cache, and logging back in resolves it.

12. nickdalzell

Problems like these usually fix themselves. Play Store is sorta working unless I scroll down far enough then *BAM* 'no connection retry'

13. palmtree5

palmtree5 Sunny Vacation Supporter!

For me, Google Play on my PC (via web browser) doesn't even display my Nexus 7 (nor does Android Device Manager for that matter).

14. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love

Whenever I have these issues I usually download those apps again through a 3rd party browser and often that helps. Also, if you are using jellybean, a lot of the apps on Google Playstore are unfortunately not compatable with JB, and you might need to contact the developer to have them send a JB file to fix the problem.

15. nickdalzell

Its not the compatibility filter. Just many apps I used to have in my 'my apps' under 'all in Google Play are GONE. If it were the incompatible notice the apps would still be listed but I'd get a 'not compatible with your device' if I clicked on it and viewed the app's page. One in particular is KITT Voice box and Speedometer. It is missing as is the rest from the Dev, Winwap Games. It was there yesterday. It's a paid app I bought a year ago. I tried to scroll the huge list for other apps that didn't restore properly last night after I flashed a ROM but if I scroll far enough Play gives the 'no connection retry' and then it sits forever at the spinning circle.

damewolf13 likes this.
  16. damewolf13

Hmmm, that is too curious!:thinking:

17. nickdalzell

Play store was downloading an app on my Nexus 10 and then halfway through it said 'cannot be downloaded due to an error..' And my phone had Play crash when I attempted to open it shortly after (unfortunately, Google Play has stopped--first crash ever with my GS3.) So it ain't fixed yet...

18. droidify

droidify Lurker

I had this issue and resolved it by clearing data on both Play Store Services and the Play Store app. Worked fine afterwards!

damewolf13 likes this.
  19. damewolf13

Welcome to Android Forums, droidify!!!:)

droidify likes this.
  20. mikedt

mikedt 你好

That was my wakeup alarm this morning, "Google Play Store. Error, package file is invalid." :rolleyes: , six of them in a row at 5AM, from the auto-update thing. That will teach me to set voice notifications for waking hours only, or just disable voiced Play notifications, or best of all, turn off auto-update completely.

If this keeps up and Google doesn't fix it very soon, people are going to start looking at alternative app strores, like Amazon, ahem...1Mobile etc. Or blame Android, and maybe look at getting an iPhone or iPad instead.

21. nickdalzell

clearing data can cause other problems, namely, the infamous 'could not be downloaded due to an error AEC:0 RPC:5' and then all your Gapps stop working (can't sync Gmail, Books, Music, etc).

the only solution is then removing and readding your Google account to the device. i found that one out the hard way on my Nexus 10 when i tried the clear data for everything like Framework and Play Store attempting to get the Android 4.3 update before it was officially released. it didn't work and caused me headaches fixing all the issues that i caused by doing that. if Play isn't working the problem is at Google's end, and not yours. just wait it out.

Whenever Play 'Plays' up, i first try using Amazon Apps or side-load from my Dropbox backup APKs. if that fails, i use 1Mobile Market as a final resort if the app i am trying to use is free. it won't have any paid apps so if you paid for things from Google Play, you're sunk unless you backed up the APK file (root only) after install or you learn to live without it until it gets fixed. i wished i had backed up KITT, as it was a pretty cool app. i think i deleted my older backup file before because it had a bad licensing error if i side-loaded the backup without Play working properly.

FYI, don't let 1Mobile update any apps you downloaded from Play in the past. you'll get a nice little 'Application Not Installed: the app you're trying to install contains a conflicting signature' error.

i am not sure but i think i still have my KITT app on my old Precedent. that phone went dead on me due to humidity and pocket sweat (it was extremely sensitive to it) and if i can revive it, i'll see if i can get the APK off of it. not sure if the licensing bug still affects it though.

I used to blame Android. coming from an iOS lifestyle i was so quick in the past to say things like 'my iPhone/iPad never did that!' whenever something namely Google Play would act up. however the OS and the Play Store are two different things. Android as far as the actual SDK that you can run in an emulator runs without Google Play or any Google Apps. the Gapps.zip is a separate flash and you cannot blame Android. blame Google and the Gapps themselves. Android isn't the problem.

Ati2d and breadnatty08 like this.
  22. droidify

droidify Lurker

Thank you Damewolf!:)

damewolf13 likes this.
  23. JIMV

JIMV Android Enthusiast

I had this happen to me today. I fixed it by uninstalling all updates and then updating and it took fine...

24. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I've turned off update notifications and auto-update now, because it was getting annoying. If apps are working I'll leave them alone, and try an update if there's a problem. This morning nothing has been downloading from Play. In fact browsing the Play Store itself seems to very slow at the moment.

25. nickdalzell

is it just me, or has Play been acting up far more than usual since the UI change? Oh well, at least it looks as bad as it runs!

26. mikedt

mikedt 你好

For me the "invalid package" thing started about 3 days ago. There was plenty of other bugs/issues/features before that though, like Play was often inaccessible, apps failing to download or very delayed, slow, images not loading, arrows going round and round with nothing happening, etc. these all seem to be happening since the UI change.

I was reading through some of the very recent reviews on a couple of popular apps, and like nearly other review is saying "invalid package" when updating. So they're evidently having major problems at the moment.

August 6, 2013
    Garbage!!! Package file is invalid @ Samsung Galaxy S4 - 4.2.2
    August 6, 2013
    Error upgrade Package file is invalid v4.2.1 samsung galaxy s2 android 4.1
    August 7, 2013
    invalid package update error for android 4.3 &#8230;google nexus 4
    August 9, 2013
    download package is invalid download error android 4.1.2 samsung galaxy s3
    August 9, 2013
    intall problem Can you please fix the invalid install problem? i really like qq but i cant install it in my phone, please fix it fast

All given one star as well. If I was a dev, I'd be rather peeved about people calling my app "Garbage!!" and one starring it, when it's not actually my fault.