• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root App updates

padrone00

Dec 14, 2009
I threw this question out there onto a different thread on the main board and got no answers. So I figured I would put it here in the root section since it is a psuedo root question.

I've gone through and did a back up of my apps to my SD card for when I flash different roms. Instead of downloading all the apps I just reinstall from my SD card. But here is the thing, they won't show up in my Market as installed apps, thus they won't get the latest updates. Is there a way to get the updates for these apps? Is there an app out there that will look for the updates to these apps (hint hint to the developing world)?

Help is always appreciated.

Estrongs won't work. Titanium free version will work fine, but I think when you restore apps, you have to confirm each one... the donate version doesn't prompt you.

I'll give Titanium a try and see how it does. When I reinstall them from the SD card they will show up in my Market or just tell them to go out and look for the latest updates?

Upvote 0
I'll give Titanium a try and see how it does. When I reinstall them from the SD card they will show up in my Market or just tell them to go out and look for the latest updates?

After you restore your apps, they will show up in your downloaded section of the market. If not, then do a market transaction (just download something free) and they will appear (i've had to do this once before). I think you can also go into manage applications and clear data and cache on the market app.

Upvote 0
dont want to hijack the thread but i have a similar question if i go through and click to backup all my apps in titanium will they automatically go to my sd card or where ever they need to go so i can restore them after i switch roms? also once i switch to a new rom (want to try kaosfroyo) how do i restore them do i have to reinstall the titanium app or will they be on my phone somewhere? thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
dont want to hijack the thread but i have a similar question if i go through and click to backup all my apps in titanium will they automatically go to my sd card or where ever they need to go so i can restore them after i switch roms? also once i switch to a new rom (want to try kaosfroyo) how do i restore them do i have to reinstall the titanium app or will they be on my phone somewhere? thanks for the help.

The apps will get backed up to your SD card in a folder called TitaniumBackup. Yes, you'll need to re-install Titanium once you've got your new rom loaded. Then tell Titanium to restore your apps. I would suggest only backing up your apps+data, not system apps and settings as those can conflict with the new rom you loaded.

Upvote 0
I strongly suggest buying Titanium Backup if you plan to use it this way, as the restore is automatic (otherwise you need to confirm each app as it restores.) And, when you install it, go into Preferences->check "Auto-sync TB settings" so it will restore your Titanium settings when you reinstall it after the flash.

Upvote 0
I strongly suggest buying Titanium Backup if you plan to use it this way, as the restore is automatic (otherwise you need to confirm each app as it restores.) And, when you install it, go into Preferences->check "Auto-sync TB settings" so it will restore your Titanium settings when you reinstall it after the flash.

The paid version allows for the restore automatically? Nice. That's the most frustrating part.

Upvote 0
The paid version allows for the restore automatically? Nice. That's the most frustrating part.

You start the batch process to, say, restore all user apps+data, you can deselect any apps that you do not want restored, and, when you start the restore, it proceeds without user intervention. For a rooter who likes to try out different ROMs, or even bring back apps if a new version requires a wipe, this is worth the cost, IMHO. (Though I generally do like to support developers by buying the pro versions of an app, if they are made available that way, and I use the app a lot.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones