• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apparently my texts are being hacked...

ZoGuitar

Lurker
Oct 12, 2011
I know this has probably been covered before, but I couldn't seem to find it. My texts have been getting intercepted or read on my phone from some other source. I was talking to a friend about taking a trip to Portland, Oregon. Then my girlfriend started getting anonymous texts (presumably from her crazy ex) that were telling her that I was planning on leaving for Portland. Just instigating things. Then I started deleting my texts as I went along. Then they sent another text to her saying, "Ask him why he keeps deleting his text messages." Basically trying to cause a rift or make it look like I'm trying to do something behind her back.

Is it possible that this dude is inside my phone somehow? How do I prevent this from happening again? It's kind of creepy. I have no proof it's this person. I don't even want to get authorities involved. I just want it all to stop. Anyway to stop all this? I think he's accessing my Facebook and email through my phone as well. Pretty creepy stuff. Same kind of thing happened when I had my old number, too.

Yeah, very illegal. I don't like dealing with cops, though. Not to mention I don't know how I would prove it.

I could go talk to the provider and all that... Don't really want to go to the store or anything. Because then I look like 'that guy' who's trying to cover up cheating on his girlfriend, ya'know? (Just in case there's a hottie there I'm trying to pick up on... I kid.)

Definitely a violation of privacy for sure. Not a good feeling. Definitely need this situation fixed.

Upvote 0
To the best of my knowledge the only way for this to be happening means that at some point he got a hold of your phone. There are many 3rd party apps to intercept messages etc but they have to be installed on the targets phone.

Some of them can be sneaky and are tough to find on your own device. Your best bet is to ask yourself if you ever set your phone down to where he could have grabbed it (hack takes only 5 minutes) and had enough time to place such an app on it.

Try DLing lookout and see if that picks anything up. Dig through your apps and folders to see if there is something on there that doesn't make sense. You can also do a full factory reset and that should clear all 3rd party apps.

Only other thing i can think of is if you hook your phone up to open wifi networks on a regular basis. He would have to be on the same network but even i could steal your texts if in the same area and you did that.

It's a new world man. Treat your smart phone like you treat your home computer. Don't leave it around in the open unlocked, don't hook it up to open/non secure wifi networks etc.

Anyway guessing 3rd party app for sure but if not maybe your both on the same network when it happens? Good luck and if all else fails factory reset.

Upvote 0
Sorry to sound like a moron, but I have no clue what rooted means.

She hasn't been with this dude for over three years and I never come in contact with him, so I have no clue how he would gain access to my phone. I just suspect it's him as he tries to get back in contact with her from time to time. And he is genuinely nuts.

I just haven't got the slightest clue how he could get that information. How does he know i'm deleting texts? It's way creepy. I've already switched my number once and changed all my passwords. Seems to be no issue getting into my stuff.

Upvote 0
Have you actually seen these anonymous texts on the girlfriend's phone? Have you seen them come in?

As an outsider looking in, this sounds more like a girlfriend who's checking your phone and finding stuff and making up other reasons she knows! Then when you start deleting she masks the question wanting to know why you're deleting them! I could be wrong though...

My suggestion, put a pattern lock on the phone and don't let anyone have the code. Then see if the knowledge of your text message content stops.

Reactions: davidchsw
Upvote 0
Can the information be coming from another source. For instance are you to telling other people about your plans and activities who could pass this information along. That seems more likely to me, unless you live in some sort of communication vacuum where you can only text. Most of my communication is via means other than texting.

Upvote 0
Sorry to sound like a moron, but I have no clue what rooted means.

"Rooting" is simply gaining administrative access to the file system. It comes from 'nix where the system account with unlimited privileges is called "root".

I just haven't got the slightest clue how he could get that information. How does he know i'm deleting texts? It's way creepy. I've already switched my number once and changed all my passwords. Seems to be no issue getting into my stuff.

Unless you have some sort of backup app that stores your message database in the cloud, the only way anyone would know you've deleted a text is to a.) see you delete it, or b.) read the original text and then discover it missing at a later date on your phone. Sending a message can be copied and redirected to an unknown recipient, but when you delete a text or thread all you are doing is editing a local database.

Something is definitely fishy with the whole situation.

Upvote 0
"Rooting" is simply gaining administrative access to the file system. It comes from 'nix where the system account with unlimited privileges is called "root".

Unless you have some sort of backup app that stores your message database in the cloud, the only way anyone would know you've deleted a text is to a.) see you delete it, or b.) read the original text and then discover it missing at a later date on your phone. Sending a message can be copied and redirected to an unknown recipient, but when you delete a text or thread all you are doing is editing a local database.

Something is definitely fishy with the whole situation.
It's very fishy. I even get the anonymous texts sometimes, as well...

As far as her doing, I don't know why she would want to? And I am kind of in a communication bubble where most of my forms of communication are via text and internet. Guess I'm going to have to try all the usual things all over again. I don't know how this dude keeps gaining access. I don't think I'm that dumb when it comes to passwords/emails/keeping information to myself.

I guess when it comes time to upgrade my phone, I'll have my number changed again just for the heck of it.

And I have seen the texts personally. I get them from those "send texts from your computer" sites. Bah. Bastards.

Upvote 0
here is my theory...

he had put on some spyware on her computer in the past.. so he can see what is being typed at what website..

you have used her computer to do some of email reading... that included your google account.. or you use the same info for your google account...

he got your info..

logged into your google account and others...

you need to use a clean computer.. change all your passwords ASAP.

Upvote 0
Here's an update. I woke up this morning to see my phone was trying to download a MMS message. I go to see what it is, and it's from the phone number, "1" and was still in the process of downloading. Could that be someone trying to download the app on my phone?

There is no auto install from an MMS message. If the attachment is an .apk file, delete it. The "1" just tells me it was sent from a web server and not directly from a phone. You can push apps to a phone, but it's not transparent, even through the market. You'll know that something was installed.

Upvote 0
This is definitely creepy, I know there are SMS text intercepting apps out there (Chinese Android Market has some), but knowing when you delete them??? That's strange, it's as if someone's WATCHING your screen, the only way is via VNC or some kind of remote desktop access, perhaps a malicious app got installed.

PS- if this is a relationship, a possessive ex can be serious trouble, get out of it if you aren't deep into it, I've dealt with one and it's NOT worth it.

Upvote 0
This is definitely creepy, I know there are SMS text intercepting apps out there (Chinese Android Market has some), but knowing when you delete them??? That's strange, it's as if someone's WATCHING your screen, the only way is via VNC or some kind of remote desktop access, perhaps a malicious app got installed.

PS- if this is a relationship, a possessive ex can be serious trouble, get out of it if you aren't deep into it, I've dealt with one and it's NOT worth it.

Once again, the OP just needs to do a FACTORY RESET. If there is something installed on his phone, it was installed by physically accessing the phone, there is no way to just "push" and app to the phone and have it install. Once he does this, we can pretty much be assured it will be done with.

Reactions: Xyro
Upvote 0
Once again, the OP just needs to do a FACTORY RESET. If there is something installed on his phone, it was installed by physically accessing the phone, there is no way to just "push" and app to the phone and have it install. Once he does this, we can pretty much be assured it will be done with.

Well, I guess the only way you can push apps to the phone is via the Android market. So, as highly unlikely as it is to have been compromised, you ought to change your gmail password as well as factory resetting.

Upvote 0
Well, I guess the only way you can push apps to the phone is via the Android market. So, as highly unlikely as it is to have been compromised, you ought to change your gmail password as well as factory resetting.

Ahh yes I forgot about the Market push. However, if someone pushed an app to his phone via the market, he would have seen it install and seen the notification that an app was installed.

Upvote 0
Alright... Tried using Google on my phone using my 3G, no wifi. It came up with a captcha saying that there has been unusual activity coming from my computer (or phone in this case). I thought this was very fishy. This stuff is getting pretty old. And yes, I have factory reset my phone and locked it down hard.

Upvote 0
I don't know if gmail tells you this when you get the unusual activity alert, but if you go to the bottom right corner of the gmail page there is an option to view all activity (and the associated IP and location) that has occurred on your account.

Personally I would enable two step authentication for your gmail account. That means nobody is getting into your account without access to your phone, which you've now secured, even if they have your password. It's a bit of a hassle, but worth it IMO.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones