• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help apple 30-pin dock female connector to male micro usb

I too am a victim of a dock without an iPhone. I got a venturer alarm clock and a 2007 Honda Accord ex with an aftermarket iPod attachment. Searching for a solution, came across this forum. So I decided to act on it. Went and found a dockboss+. The "+" is the key ingredient because not only will it plug into the docking station, but also has a micro usb to charge your smartphone as well. Got a lot of mixed reviews, mainly good. Will report again once I get it and try it. Will hopefully solve a lot of peoples anxieties.

Upvote 0
I can't post a link yet, but will follow up when I can. There's a fancy pin-out diagram for the apple 30-pin connector out there that has everything you need to know to modify the connector, or dock to allow any ipod/iphone work with it.

I haven't tested it out yet, but am definitely going to spend some time on this. The biggest problem I see with android phones is some of the difficulty in streaming audio over the usb connector. It may be best to skip the usb audio depending on if it's digital audio or not, and since it seems the ipod simply re-routes the analog audio through the connector.

Using the pin-outs, it seems relatively simple to wire the R/L audio from a standard 3.5mm audio jack, and the usb power +/- to the right wires on a usb mini/micro connector.

It's my guess that the adapters listed above are doing the same thing since they all use the audio jack on the android phone.

If DIY is your thing, it looks like all you need is 5 pins, Audio- both R and L (2), R+ (5),L+(6), GND(16), and USB+(23).

USB pinout is pretty simple, looking at it from the front with the pins on top, in order:

USB+ Data- Data+ Sense GND

Again, I haven't tested this out, and it is possible to severely damage your phone.
Will update when I test it out. My plan is to use an ipod female connector from a damaged ipod, attach it to a usb cable and a standard 3.5 mm audio jack.

Upvote 0
A little more googling proved that there is a way to get the usb to act as audio R/L. You need to bridge pins 4 and 5 on the usb connector with a 365k resistor as stated here:
forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=820275&page=13

You will run into some limitations of using 2 pins to sense everything, and using 1 pin for a ground for everything.
The car's quick charging feature will be gone, and you might hear a hum when not playing audio.

Also not sure how it'll work with beats audio since beats audio only works through headphones, and not the external speaker in the phone.

Again, be careful with your usb port on the phone, a few people have messed theirs up and lose all audio/data capabilities of the usb port leaving it to charge only.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
years ago i added an apple dock to my stock 06 acura nav system using the isimple kit. (also added the hd radio option).

but i wanted bluetooth for audio as well. so i went to ebay and found this "iskin cerulean". they sell it in a transmitter/receiver combo, but really all you need is the receiver.

my apple 30 pin is the 2nd gen (first gen powered through firewire, 2nd gen powered through usb). if you try to charge a newer ipod on an old 30 pin it will not charge, thats how you can tell if its a gen 1 or 2. i say this because i am not sure if the cerulean will work on the older gen 1 without needing to have external power cord.

the cerulean gets power stright from the dock (at least with the bose sounddock portable and my cars 30 pin dock). then you just pair and play. IT WORKS GREAT!!!

the cerulean also has a 3.5mm aux out and a mini usb for power, so you can use this with a home stereo, you just need a usb outlet to power this unit, and then you can run the aux to a stereo. the receiver comes with all the cables you could possibly need.

my issue, i changed my phones firmware and the BT for audio stopped working properly, so i wanted to use my 30 pin apple connector with the headphone jack of my phone. that product has been linked in this thread already.

this thread also links this product which is hard to find, it goes 1 step further. it converts apples 30 pin to an aux in, as well as to a micro usb - PERFECT. it also has been linked but just in case.

go to cablejive DOT com and search for the "dockBoss+". they stopped producing this, because they are in the process of making a better version of this adapter. but you can buy their overstock open box of the current version.

a similar unit is sold on amazon, but it has mixed reviews, either people love it, or it will not work at all, depending what they are using it on.

Upvote 0
years ago i added an apple dock to my stock 06 acura nav system using the isimple kit. (also added the hd radio option).

but i wanted bluetooth for audio as well. so i went to ebay and found this "iskin cerulean". they sell it in a transmitter/receiver combo, but really all you need is the receiver.

my apple 30 pin is the 2nd gen (first gen powered through firewire, 2nd gen powered through usb). if you try to charge a newer ipod on an old 30 pin it will not charge, thats how you can tell if its a gen 1 or 2. i say this because i am not sure if the cerulean will work on the older gen 1 without needing to have external power cord.

the cerulean gets power stright from the dock (at least with the bose sounddock portable and my cars 30 pin dock). then you just pair and play. IT WORKS GREAT!!!

the cerulean also has a 3.5mm aux out and a mini usb for power, so you can use this with a home stereo, you just need a usb outlet to power this unit, and then you can run the aux to a stereo. the receiver comes with all the cables you could possibly need.

my issue, i changed my phones firmware and the BT for audio stopped working properly, so i wanted to use my 30 pin apple connector with the headphone jack of my phone. that product has been linked in this thread already.

this thread also links this product which is hard to find, it goes 1 step further. it converts apples 30 pin to an aux in, as well as to a micro usb - PERFECT. it also has been linked but just in case.

go to cablejive DOT com and search for the "dockBoss+". they stopped producing this, because they are in the process of making a better version of this adapter. but you can buy their overstock open box of the current version.

a similar unit is sold on amazon, but it has mixed reviews, either people love it, or it will not work at all, depending what they are using it on.
So I finally got around to purchasing an iskin cerulean device. I must say it is a nice compact, yet functional device. Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately, I still cannot get my receiver to pass audio over the iskin from my Android device. Everything is paired correctly and I restarted all devices upon pairing. As previously mentioned, the dockBoss+ also does not pass audio. My particular receiver must have an older version of the i-dock. That's the only thing I can think of as to why it doesn't work. When I connect the iskin, eventually the receiver indicates "iPod charging". I would assume that is good and the setup should work. It isn't a total loss though as the receiver has an aux. input that I can still use the iskin with. Would just be a lot less messing around with cables and such using the i-dock. Oh well.

Upvote 0
just wondering, have you tried the iskin on any other devices just to double check that it does work on at least 1 dock?

if not try that, if it doesnt work on any device, you could have a bad unit.

Also, i would try another phone with it. maybe someone in your household or a friend has a different android/iphone to pair and test?

only advice i have, is to make sure you phone recognizes it as a audio bluetooth device and not just a headset, and make sure your bluetooth volume is turned up, it is separate then your speakerphone or headphone volume.

i hope you get it to work, this little thing has come in handy for me on multiple occasions.

Upvote 0
just wondering, have you tried the iskin on any other devices just to double check that it does work on at least 1 dock?

if not try that, if it doesnt work on any device, you could have a bad unit.

Also, i would try another phone with it. maybe someone in your household or a friend has a different android/iphone to pair and test?

only advice i have, is to make sure you phone recognizes it as a audio bluetooth device and not just a headset, and make sure your bluetooth volume is turned up, it is separate then your speakerphone or headphone volume.

i hope you get it to work, this little thing has come in handy for me on multiple occasions.
I believe I have another external i-Pod dock I got with another receiver I can test with. And funny you mention it, but I just ordered the Galaxy S4 and it should be here this week. I can try testing with that phone to see if there is any difference as compared to my current HTC Thunderbolt. Under my volume sub-menu, ring-tone volume is at 75%, media volume is 100%, and alarm volume is also 100%. Now I'm curious as to what you mentioned about the phone recognizing it as an audio device and not a headset. Because the icon next to it shows a headset. I don't think I can change that though. And it works using the analog cables with the device showing as a headset. I also have a Bluetooth remote speaker that is detected as a headset and that also works fine. Looks like I have a little more testing to do. Thanks for the suggestions.

Upvote 0
Well, I tried my wife's phone and no joy there. I also tried another i-Dock device I got with a newer Pioneer Elite receiver I have. This one has an i-Dock connector on one end of the cable and on the other end has both a USB A and an RCA video for connectors. I have to imagine this would be considered a newer generation i-Dock connector than what I tested on my older Yamaha receiver mentioned above. However, once paired, this receiver also says no device. I'm starting to wonder if perhaps the iskin is in fact faulty. I bought it off Amazon so returning/replacing shouldn't be a problem. Before I do that, are there any additional suggestions?

Upvote 0
i have a powermat wirless charger for iphone 3g and when i opened it up the few pins soderded on the iphone connectoe ribbon there is no 23.
thank u

I can't post a link yet, but will follow up when I can. There's a fancy pin-out diagram for the apple 30-pin connector out there that has everything you need to know to modify the connector, or dock to allow any ipod/iphone work with it.

I haven't tested it out yet, but am definitely going to spend some time on this. The biggest problem I see with android phones is some of the difficulty in streaming audio over the usb connector. It may be best to skip the usb audio depending on if it's digital audio or not, and since it seems the ipod simply re-routes the analog audio through the connector.

Using the pin-outs, it seems relatively simple to wire the R/L audio from a standard 3.5mm audio jack, and the usb power +/- to the right wires on a usb mini/micro connector.

It's my guess that the adapters listed above are doing the same thing since they all use the audio jack on the android phone.

If DIY is your thing, it looks like all you need is 5 pins, Audio- both R and L (2), R+ (5),L+(6), GND(16), and USB+(23).

USB pinout is pretty simple, looking at it from the front with the pins on top, in order:

USB+ Data- Data+ Sense GND

Again, I haven't tested this out, and it is possible to severely damage your phone.
Will update when I test it out. My plan is to use an ipod female connector from a damaged ipod, attach it to a usb cable and a standard 3.5 mm audio jack.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones