• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apple considering cheaper - and larger - Android-like phones...

Not entirely true. While it may run some of the fastest computers in the world, MS still has something like an 85-90% share in the server world.

Try 2-to-1 split in Linux's favor for servers:
Usage Statistics and Market Share of Operating Systems for Websites

True enough, but the average computer user who is semi-literate can administer a Windows server on a day to day basis. The hardcore problems will always require a professional regardless of what the platform is. I've never used a Linux server, but from my desktop experience with it, I'm going to guess that it probably is not as easy to do as Windows Server is.

The average person should not be administering any server, let alone a Windows server.

And, for you: Admin work on a Linux box would be difficult, since you have no experience with it. It would be like asking a person from AR to administer your Windows boxes.

However, admin work on a linux box IS easier. So much in fact, it requires 1/10th the number of admins to take care of a linux farm vs. a windows farm.

Upvote 0
If we table the 'is it Apple-like or not' debate, then would we at least agree that this is a 'smart' move by Apple?

Regardless of whether or not it follows their business model to date, it's never too late to do the right thing for your business. I've said before that I feel one of Googles greatest strengths is sizing up their competition, figuring out what they're doing right, then build and improve upon that.

Apple may not be quite as shrewd in that department at Google, but they aren't total strangers to that philosophy by any means. I have seen it argued that Apple didn't create any new technology with the iPhone, that they just copied several other technologies and put them all together in one package.

Ok, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Shore up the competition, look at what they're doing right, and build your product around those positive attributes and improve upon them. I think you'd be hard pressed to make an argument denying that they developed a product based on existing technologies, and put them all together in a package that was well recieved by the consumer public. In that regard they were very successful.

Ok so now they see Android is starting to pull away from them in terms of sales. So they analyze what Androids strong selling points are to see where they can improve their own sales. What is one of the most glaring advantages of Android? Diversity!

Alright, so taking that information and adjusting their marketing strategy in order to regain more of the market share that they've lost along the way is more than simply a good move, it's necessary for survival IMO. And when I say survival, I mean as one of the top dogs in this fight.

I've always considered diversity as one of Androids strongest advantages (over Apple). So reducing or taking that advantage away completely is definitely a smart move... hell it's a no-brainer really. Every other OS seems to understand this, it's about time Apple got with the program.

So whether or not it's Apple-like is sorta moot really. Perhaps the 'one size fits all' model was perceived as an advantage up until now. If they've realized it's no longer working out for them, then it's time to change... period.

You can say what you want about them. Dislike their products if you want to. Disagree with their philosophies and all the rest of it. But you don't become one of the largest computer companies of all time by making stupid business decisions.

In the business world you either adapt, or you get left behind.

Upvote 0
The single iPod became a range of devices.

I iBook became a range of laptops that are the MacBooks and MacBook Pros today.

Don't see how changing from one device to a range of them would be in any way un-Apple-like.

Or un-business like. Seems to me, corporations want to build lots of devices for lots of folks. We started in the PDA World with the Palm Pilot and eventually released a line of different products with more memory, different case types, and eventually, a wireless PDA.

We started making Turbo Switches for the growing PC market in a garage. Nothing more than an 8088 chip with a crystal mounted on a chip socket and sealed in a plastic embed. Then came Toshiba internal modems and eventuawlly we developed the X-Jack which helped grow our line of PCMCIA modems and NIC Cards.

That product led to more modems and as we became good at building modems, we grew and added more products.

Bob Maxey

Upvote 0
Who is this 'we' you speak of?

I Started with Megahertz Corporation. We began by building Turbo Switches. Truly one of those garage startups and three employees.

Then, after going public and lots of insane growth, we became part of USRobotics, then we grew and became part of 3Com, then we grew more and became part of Manufacturing Services Limited, a Contract Manufacturer. I had the same cubicle, the same parking space; in the same location, through 4 different corporations.

Somewhere along the way, we became the manufacturer of Palm Pilots. Now, the ride is long over and nobody remembers what we did which was exciting, innovative, and we were good at it. Anyone remember the X-Jack?

So the "we" is us/me/our company.

Bob Maxey

Upvote 0
Disclosing a past company or employer is strictly voluntary -- and let's not press where privacy may be concerned. ;)

Thanks, but no privacy issues or worries. At least not as far as my personal history is concerned. I did what I did with great skill and our products and history are a matter of pride. Not too many can see a startup grow and become a big deal, be absorbed by larger and larger manufacturers, and finally end.

Before that, I worked on Phone-Mates, before that, building HV transmitting tubes for Radar and associated systems. Before that, I drifted. Before that, I spent 12 years at Bill Shipler Photo; an old, really old company established in the 1800s, selling everything from high end 35MM and 120 film cameras to running a custom processing lab; all deep tanks and tray processing; Leitz Focomats and Beseler 45MCRX enlargers, no computers.

Before that, full time student at West High School...you get where that goes. Started out at Holy Cross Hospital as an infant in the 1950's or thereabouts. Before that, probably private thing between mom and dad.

Thanks for the concern, EM.

Bob Maxey

Upvote 0
Also, their claim that they have one screen size to deal with (2 with the iPad, but that's a different class of device).

Their claim that their developers only have to code for 1 screen size will now go the way of Android, and I can't imagine that Apple would make it as easy as it is for Android Devs.

You can't count on Apple to not do something. For example, many people thought that Apple would never switch to intel based on years of marketing that PPC was better than x86 and that cisc/unix was evil but Steve Jobs decided that it just made better sense. And the apple fans just went along with the new line. They said that multitasking was bad until they had it which means it is good. Maybe they'll even think that Flash and widgets are good ideas. They will do what it takes to win and we shouldn't be surprised if they contradict themselves.
Android will just have to do its part by innovating and staying ahead of everyone else. I think they will and not just on the hardware front where there is enormous competition but also on the OS front because Google is not worried if the OS is so simple that even a 90 year old grandma can use it.

Upvote 0
If we table the 'is it Apple-like or not' debate, then would we at least agree that this is a 'smart' move by Apple?

Regardless of whether or not it follows their business model to date, it's never too late to do the right thing for your business. I've said before that I feel one of Googles greatest strengths is sizing up their competition, figuring out what they're doing right, then build and improve upon that.
Apple makes a lot of money per item and some would argue that's more important than marketshare. But imagine this scenario: most smartphones are on android and none of them can get music from itunes. Google says "You don't need itunes. Google music will now be preinstalled on every new android phone/tablet." Apple loses its itunes dominance and has less leverage over prices.

Upvote 0
I recall Megahertz, think everyone I know owned a USR, and I certainly owned a 3Comm/X-Jack.

So Bob, I guess you not only got my vote, but several of my dollars as well. :D

Thank you. I thought the X-Jack was just about the coolest thing ever because it eliminated the bloody dongle. Then again, the first units lacked a stirrup (little copper wire thing that prevented the RJ-11 from pushing through the connector and then damaging the gold fingers that made contact when you tried to pull it out.

Bob Maxey

Upvote 0
My mom's in her 80s and far prefers my Evo to my sister's iP4. ;)

Yes but Apple seems to design their OS based on what they think an 80 year old grandma would want. They assume most people want tech that's very simple and design for that theoretical person. Google doesn't have a picture of a particular person in mind. They just design for maximum flexibility and utility and expect the users to eventually adapt.

Upvote 0
Thank you. I thought the X-Jack was just about the coolest thing ever because it eliminated the bloody dongle. Then again, the first units lacked a stirrup (little copper wire thing that prevented the RJ-11 from pushing through the connector and then damaging the gold fingers that made contact when you tried to pull it out.

Exactly how I came to own two - lent the first to a biz partner. :p

ari-free: As for iOS being simpler - well - ok, everyone says that.

My wife's phone has 6 screens of Sense widgets and one screen of most-used apps (and for the other 1%, she's perfectly happy with the drawer). Everyone marvels at its simplicity.

Maybe iOS is simpler than vanilla Android - and I'd agree with you - Google is concentrating on a pure, customizable experience, so maybe that's harder.

If we're talking numbers and take the simplicity of the Sense, TouchWiz or Blur experiences (as far outweighing vanilla Android, don't they?) I think there's more grave than gravy to the notion that the iPhone is easier.

Could be way wrong on that, again, just an opinion.

Upvote 0
Thanks, but no privacy issues or worries. At least not as far as my personal history is concerned. I did what I did with great skill and our products and history are a matter of pride. Not too many can see a startup grow and become a big deal, be absorbed by larger and larger manufacturers, and finally end.

Before that, I worked on Phone-Mates, before that, building HV transmitting tubes for Radar and associated systems. Before that, I drifted. Before that, I spent 12 years at Bill Shipler Photo; an old, really old company established in the 1800s, selling everything from high end 35MM and 120 film cameras to running a custom processing lab; all deep tanks and tray processing; Leitz Focomats and Beseler 45MCRX enlargers, no computers.

Before that, full time student at West High School...you get where that goes. Started out at Holy Cross Hospital as an infant in the 1950's or thereabouts. Before that, probably private thing between mom and dad.

Thanks for the concern, EM.

Bob Maxey

Ah, very interesting Bob, and might I add... impressive!

But uhhh... you think there's anyway we could find out a wee bit more about this private sequence that went down between your mum and daddy?

Lol, I kid, I kid! ;)

Upvote 0
They are marketing it that way, yes.

Is it that you seem to be of the belief that they actually believe themselves what they want others to believe, or is that you think this marketing campaign is irreversible in the public's eye?

I think it's partly both of those, but mostly that I don't see them having a marketing leg to stand on after they lose the "hipness".

As far as hardware - srsly - it's not about cool, it's about sheeple. If I have to hear once more why I need a retinal display when instead I really need either transflective (Mirasol) or hybrid transreflective (Pixel Qi) on my phone, I'm likely to gag myself into a coma.

lol... I would much rather have a cellphone I can use outside than one that looks as crisp as my TV when I CAN view it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones