• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apple Copies Android Notifications

Well it goes both ways. When apple does something it's innovative, any and everyone else is copying them. Many wouldn't have an issue with it if they wasn't so arrogant and always trying to sue someone when they also do the same and copy others.The truth of the matter is Android is just as good as ios and they are both benefitting from each other success.

Upvote 0
Android is a great system but don't sell it as innovative with one hand and strike at apple with the other.

Then give credit where credit is due. There are innovative and imitative features of both platforms.

Google would not be doing a phone if apple came out with the iphone and it was a major FLOP. Apple created this "ARM" 's race now every one wants piece of the pie.

I think you give Apple way too much credit. The Android project was started in 2003 and purchased by Google in 2005. In 2005 Apple and Motorola released an iTunes compatible phone called the ROKR which attempted to leverage the success of the iPod in a cellular phone. The first iPhone was announced in Jan of 2007 and released 6 months later.

Android as a mobile OS was made available from Google through a consortium of manufactures called the Open Handset Alliance in Nov 2007 and the first Android phone was released 11 months later.

Based on the timeline, I'd have to say development was concurrent.

Reactions: PLiPhaze and jroc
Upvote 0
The "new" iOS notification system is a blatant copy of Android. It doesn't bother me any, except for how Apple, as well Apple fanboys, always charge other companies of copying them. Look, the iOS notification system was a disaster. I can be happy for iOS users. What it does show it that Apple is playing catch-up to Android now. The pull-down notification system old news. It will be interesting to see what changes Ice Cream Sandwich will bring to notifications.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
My point of view is similar: I don't like fanboys (from both camps). There are many reasonable Android or iOS users that simply don't bother anymore.

I think it's great that iOS is getting better. All in all, we're the consumers and it's a better product for us.

I am a Fanboy. At least a modified version of your typical FB. I substituted crazy views and abhorrent insanity with reason with logic and I chose a device to meet a specific list of needs and requirements. So far, nothing on the Android side is as good as far as tablets go.

I use a Zio and it does everything the old iPhones do and that is simply good enough for me. I do not feel compelled to go iPhone.

I purchase technology that serves me and my needs, be it Apple or Android. So I can justify my purchase as being smart(er) purchases, but only as far as I am specifically concerned.

For me, the iPhone was a no go because it required a contract. Simple as that.

The iPad was the only choice for me because I required a tablet and there was nothing on the Android side, just announcements of devices arriving soon and lots of rumors. I'll stick with my iPad because nothing on the Android side serves my specific needs.

I must admit that the overall look of many iPad apps is simply amazingly beautiful to look at. Pages works well for me, and I'll admit that I have a few games. Simply stunning, ever so clever and bloody creative.

There are no music applications on the Android side to speak of (writing music and synthesizers, not players) and that is important to me. Again, many are stunning to look at and a joy to use.

So as far as I am concerned, Android tablets fall short, but Android phones rule my particular roost. For now. I'll never buy an iPhone. But we do not know what the next great thing will be.

And as the Android tablet market grows, there are bound to be great tablets released Or Apple will end the discussion by releasing a tablet that is just too difficult to ignore.

And the Android Fan Boys will insist on tearing it apart and we are back to square one.

Upvote 0
I am a Fanboy. At least a modified version of your typical FB. I substituted crazy views and abhorrent insanity with reason with logic and I chose a device to meet a specific list of needs and requirements. So far, nothing on the Android side is as good as far as tablets go.

I use a Zio and it does everything the old iPhones do and that is simply good enough for me. I do not feel compelled to go iPhone.

I purchase technology that serves me and my needs, be it Apple or Android. So I can justify my purchase as being smart(er) purchases, but only as far as I am specifically concerned.

For me, the iPhone was a no go because it required a contract. Simple as that.

The iPad was the only choice for me because I required a tablet and there was nothing on the Android side, just announcements of devices arriving soon and lots of rumors. I'll stick with my iPad because nothing on the Android side serves my specific needs.

I must admit that the overall look of many iPad apps is simply amazingly beautiful to look at. Pages works well for me, and I'll admit that I have a few games. Simply stunning, ever so clever and bloody creative.

There are no music applications on the Android side to speak of (writing music and synthesizers, not players) and that is important to me. Again, many are stunning to look at and a joy to use.

So as far as I am concerned, Android tablets fall short, but Android phones rule my particular roost. For now. I'll never buy an iPhone. But we do not know what the next great thing will be.

And as the Android tablet market grows, there are bound to be great tablets released Or Apple will end the discussion by releasing a tablet that is just too difficult to ignore.

And the Android Fan Boys will insist on tearing it apart and we are back to square one.

And thats how it should be, competition is always good, and if nothing else, Android and Apple are inspiring eachother, but the end users should spend their hard earned cash on what fits their purpose the best.

The thing is, a lot of end users can't be bothered to research what will suit their needs, and they make a less informed purchase, then they may not be as happy and more likely to moan.

If it's does what you want, great, use it, if not, enjoy your paperweight, or replace it (preferably after doing a little research next time)

Reactions: DaSchmarotzer
Upvote 0
I have no problem with user experience. I actually Love Android devices and i am HAPPY there is choice. It just gets foolish when the fan boys come out and start talking. I come here to see what does the "other" camp think of the changes. I have an Iphone Jail borken and i can easily name almost 10 apps within cydia that apple has replicated if that is the right word their features. Lockinfo & SBsettings like holy crap apple stole that shit. So yes i under stand fanboyisim i say it with Win95,win98 vs Me and win2k vs XP and vista,xbox vs ps2 and now on mobile devices.

Android is a great system but don't sell it as innovative with one hand and strike at apple with the other. Google would not be doing a phone if apple came out with the iphone and it was a major FLOP. Apple created this "ARM" 's race now every one wants piece of the pie.

If we replace the word android with netflix can't this chat be the same. they having the same issue with competition.

What's borken?

Upvote 0
^^^ not sure if that was being sarcastic or not...

but... he ment "jailbroken"
it is a term for iphones... similar (but not the same) to our "rooted"
unlocks the iphone for dev mods.. things that apple dont want in their garden.

Thanks Dan....yes it was being sarcastic....geez louis...

99% of anything I say is sarcasm.

Upvote 0
Gah, you know what sadder than this?

At school today:

Kid in class showing iPhone: ......and I just got the new iOS 5 and look (shows navigation bar) It's cool! Never saw it before
Me: /facepalm . Checking my own notifications bar.
Another kid in class : Hey, you have that too Remy?
Me: Android had it before iPhone
Kid with iPhone: Yeah right, Android just copies Apple.
Me: Lengthy explanation about iOS5 features that already is in Android (and BB) before.
Kid with iPhone: Yeah right!!
Me: Google it then.

Kid with iPhone: I still don't believe it...I hope Apple sues!
Me and everyone in class:/FACEPALM

WTF?!?

Upvote 0
That's what I thought too >.> I thought it was beta but the kid said he got help from his brother.

I researched it and they said you need to be a dev account so I don't really know how he did it.

Maybe it's a video demo since I didn't actually saw his screen. :/ Though he did say he "got" the new iOS5.

School as in college.

I'm Googling about iOS 5 now XD

Upvote 0
tumblr_lmfdqjQeLW1qazifoo1_500.png

You can get the iOS 5 beta without the dev account if you DL the itunes beta.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones