1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apple Copies Android... What A Shame

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by hewdoc, Sep 14, 2011.

?

Are you disgusted by Apple Copying Android?

1. Yes

60.0%
  2. No

40.0%
  1. hewdoc

hewdoc Lurker
    None

Dec 19, 2009
    I can't believe, after Apple has boasted about their obviously mediocre OS, they would really turn around and copy key features from the Android OS. It just blows my mind. I always loved Android from the beginning, even when it ran slow on the G1, but admired and saw where it was going. I loved how uniue and different the approach was. Now I have to see Apple devices sporting what was once Android's finest features! ... Apple, you should be ashamed of yourselves, U have fell to -1 on my list... I am so disgusted by you :mad:

Advertisement

2. NightHawk877

NightHawk877 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 5, 2011
    Male
    Texas
    Me too. One of the reasons why I hate them so much.

hewdoc likes this.
  3. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    I have no problem with Apple incorporating features from Android or any other OS to improve iOS. Why would I feel bad about someone else getting an improvement on the devices they use? As technology advances and more features become more available in more devices, it only gives end users more choices with better features.

What I have a problem with is Apple preventing people from getting devices that they want. People choose an HTC or Samsung device, not because it looks like an Apple device. People choose them for the differences that HTC and Samsung design in their devices.

The reason that I chose an HTC phone is that the HTC phone had features not available on the iPhone. The reason I chose an Asus tablet is that the Asus tablet had features not available on the iPad. If Apple had prevented me from obtaining any of these devices that I like most (in its class), I'd be majorly pissed. In fact, I probably would avoid purchasing an Apple device because I do not want to encourage this type of behaviour. If I reward Apple for preventing me from getting a device that I really wanted, it would just encourage Apple and other companies to simply use law suits instead of innovation to gain customers. If Apple made devices with the features that I want, I'd gladly hand over my money to them.

ninja_reject likes this.
  4. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert

Jan 24, 2011
    I don't mind Apple's products, but I do hate the mindset. I've simply had it in for them the first time I ever tangled with Quicktime. It simply took over all the photo/video and sound formats on the computer. I had Photoshop and a good sound/music program that I paid for. Who gave Apple/Quicktime the right to mess with my setup?

Quicktime was still up to that trick a few years ago. My boss told me to get his Ipod shuffle working, that involved Quicktime. Same thing with sound/video/images. What made this really bad was we had PROFESSIONAL audio editing on the computers since we dealt with radio commercials. Took me a few hours to find and reassociate all the formats. And no, there was no asking if I wanted Quicktime as the default program.

novox77 likes this.
  5. landovr

landovr Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    Firefighter
    Alberta Canada
    I have an Ipod touch and I have had nothing but problems, not with the device itself but with the software that you need to use the device. I have asked apple multiple times to help me with getting itunes working properly and the answer I always get is there is something wrong with my computer. If thats the case then why does everything else work flawlessly. I also had a problem with my credit card not working with itunes and apple said it was a problem with the credit card. I will never buy another apple product as long as I live.

6. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery
    None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    The issue for me is that Apple is a big bloody apple pie eating hypocrite. They are suing companies left, right and centre for copying them. Now they are doing the same thing. Like every other company, they copy features from other companies. What really tick me off is that they WILL spin it as if THEY invented it. The media will sell it as if Apple invented it and anyone that's not into anything but Apple will drink it like mother's milk. Example is with multitasking on iOS 4. Prior to iOS, Apple vehemently declared that they will not allow their iOS to multitask because of performance issues that will arise.

B2L and chrlswltrs like this.
  7. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    Private Security
    Seattle
    Exactly what I was going to say!

8. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!

Jul 7, 2010
    The word innovation is spun heavily in the tech industry. Most companies use the word to represent the improvements they make to existing tech, while most consumers may define the word to represent a new idea, technology, or invention.

Apple's not an innovator. But they are really good at taking existing technology and assembling it into a PRODUCT that people want to buy.

Contrast that with Google. They are experts on the TECHNOLOGY but not at creating products.

Apple's PRODUCTS use pretty decent (but not the best) technology but boast extreme attention to aesthetics and user experience. Android (and phone manufacturers) could "copy" Apple in this respect to be more competitive. I don't mean rip off the iPhone's look or OS. Just put some emphasis on the design and user experience. People want to buy a PRODUCT, not just a piece of technology.

9. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie
    None

Nov 4, 2009
    Sales
    The Sea of Tranquility
    According to Brian "I killed Buzz Out Loud" Tong, Apple invented the smartphone, tablet and on line music sales. The sad thing is his seemingly competent coworkers don't rush to contradict. Apple marketing is strong. They out media control and out lawyer the competition by a long shot. If Ford had been run like Apple, we'd have them suing anyone who made a car that had an engine, 4 wheels, doors or simply looked like a car.

10. JoePT

JoePT Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    I don't have a problem with them making the best device possible (in their eyes), but, as others have said, I just don't like the hypocrisy of it.

11. zuben el genub

Jan 24, 2011
    I still think that Apple's problems with using Flash came from the fact that Adobe started to put out Photoshop for Windows. Until PS3, it was all Apple. Soon as Adobe started with Windows, so did Quark. Apple lost exclusitivity. Both programs are flagships in their fields, so Apple had to swallow the fact that Windows could do the same work. So there's a bit of sour grapes being disguised as innovation.

I also think I remember a couple of other subscription websites for MP3s before the Ipod.

12. amr1787

amr1787 Lurker
    None

Sep 5, 2011
    Consultant
    LBK, TX
    Idk, my thought- Apple is desperate, they were like 20yrs behind when the Iph products started showing up, kiss apple goodbye, Google will rule every aspect of the mobile world in 5yrs. Look into the assets they quietly purchased in the past 5 yrs, plus they already know every thing about you, in like a creepers status way

13. zuben el genub

Jan 24, 2011
    As long as Android lets me have it my way, I'll be happy. There is still room for improvement, especially with choices. (No, I'm not looking for free everything. Just a reasonable time to check out an app, and the ability to delete the app from the MY APPS section of market. I can delete from the phone, but can't see how to edit Market.

14. creatorbri

creatorbri Newbie
    None

Jul 26, 2011
    The competition is what keeps these devices getting better and better. Encourages them to innovate, and to think about what people really want and focus on those things.

15. !on

!on Android Expert
    None

Aug 14, 2011
    Male
    UK
    I voted no, I'm more embarrassed for them really. This is all a bit childish. I also think they need to lay off the nose - sherbet if they think they own the sky & the sea. They make great products - it's how they conduct themselves which puts many off, imo. I remember it wasn't long ago when Apple wasn't a dirty word!