• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apple just keeps innovating!

The_Chief

Accept no imitations!
  • Nov 17, 2009
    Manchester, Tennessee
    I have to hand it to the Cupertino crew... they know how to keep Apple fans enthralled with innovations.

Apple fans were over-the-top screaming for joy in 2017, when they could finally lose the charging cable and charge their iPhones wirelessly. Never mind that Samsung's phones had been doing that since the Galaxy S4 in 2011. Why did it take Apple so long? Because they were determined to figure out a way to create a proprietary system, forcing iPhone users to charge wirelessly only with an Apple wireless charger. When engineers threw their hands up in defeat, Apple adopted the long-used Qi standard.

While Apple wasn't the first company to release a phone with a notch, 2017's iPhone X made the notch wildly popular and fanbois went ballistic over it. Samsung, however, took a different approach with the punchhole camera cutout. Apple fans mocked and ridiculed the punchhole. Samsung fans haven't been very happy with it, either, but have expressed preference for it over a big notch eating up display area.

Now it's 2022 - and the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max have fans in a tizzy over the new "Dynamic Island" - which isn't a notch at all.

IT'S A PUNCHHOLE! A great big oval punchhole!

To make this the punchhole to end all punchholes, however, the "Dynamic Island" isn't isolated to just the cutout. Nope, the display around the cutout will go black and make the punchhole appear to broaden & narrow, expanding to display notifications as they arrive and contracting again.

Suddenly, the fanbois are in love with punchholes and are lining up to buy their new notchless iPhones!

The most comical aspect of this whole affair is how Apple, and Apple fans, continue to harrass Samsung for stealing ideas from the new iPhones to use in Galaxy devices.

:p

iPhone-Galaxy-joke.jpg

I have to hand it to the Cupertino crew... they know how to keep Apple fans enthralled with innovations.

Apple fans were over-the-top screaming for joy in 2017, when they could finally lose the charging cable and charge their iPhones wirelessly. Never mind that Samsung's phones had been doing that since the Galaxy S4 in 2011. Why did it take Apple so long? Because they were determined to figure out a way to create a proprietary system, forcing iPhone users to charge wirelessly only with an Apple wireless charger. When engineers threw their hands up in defeat, Apple adopted the long-used Qi standard.

While Apple wasn't the first company to release a phone with a notch, 2017's iPhone X made the notch wildly popular and fanbois went ballistic over it. Samsung, however, took a different approach with the punchhole camera cutout. Apple fans mocked and ridiculed the punchhole. Samsung fans haven't been very happy with it, either, but have expressed preference for it over a big notch eating up display area.

Now it's 2022 - and the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max have fans in a tizzy over the new "Dynamic Island" - which isn't a notch at all.

IT'S A PUNCHHOLE! A great big oval punchhole!

To make this the punchhole to end all punchholes, however, the "Dynamic Island" isn't isolated to just the cutout. Nope, the display around the cutout will go black and make the punchhole appear to broaden & narrow, expanding to display notifications as they arrive and contracting again.

Suddenly, the fanbois are in love with punchholes and are lining up to buy their new notchless iPhones!

The most comical aspect of this whole affair is how Apple, and Apple fans, continue to harrass Samsung for stealing ideas from the new iPhones to use in Galaxy devices.

View attachment 163877
    Not reading at that. Congratulations or sorry for your loss.

Upvote 0
    Don't forget that they are also introducing always on displays, maybe 7 years after android. ;)

Actually this has seemed an incredibly weak year for apple. The iPhone 14 uses last year's processor (only the more expensive Pro models get an upgrade), I've always thought that punch holes are even sillier than notches even without making the size variable (can you turn that off? I bet people find a way), and as noted above introducing AOD best part of a decade after android is hardly innovative (disclosure: I turned off my AOD in 2017 and haven't turned it on since, so don't care myself). They remove the one distinctive model from the range, add some stuff about "emergency satellite messaging" which seems to be something to catch the eye but irrelevant for almost everyone (i.e. a pure marketing gimmick), and that's all I noticed. Really very weak sauce I felt.

Upvote 0

View attachment 163877
    They don't steal everything. They reinvented the jpeg image so everyone else sees it sideways, and they reinvented the text message so iphones and android can't talk to each other.

Upvote 0
    What's wrong with Windows in China?

From experience, it's more like what's NOT wrong with Windows in China. Where do I start?

I do use Windows most days in the classrooms, when teaching lessons. However I always keep my USB thumb-drives write protected when using them, because of the viruses and malware on the school PCs.

Upvote 0
    Surely Windows is the same everywhere? Why wouldn't it operate the same as it's operating on my PCs here in the UK?

It's not actually the same. "Windows 10 China Government Edition"
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...-10-china-government-edition-new-surface-pro/
    MS has always done "special" versions of Windows for the PRC, from XP onwards. The main problem is, it only works in Chinese. I need English.

But originally it was Vista, that compelled me to switch to MacBooks, as well as using Linux OSs.

At least with Apple it is exactly the same macOS, whether I buy a laptop in Beijing, London, or New York. Now iPhones on the other hand, I would never ever have one of those in China, as not having a VPN is a deal-breaker for a start.

Why doesn't your school have AV software?

The school does have AV software, Qihoo 360, which is probably the most useless piece of junk there is. And really the only thing it does, it shows ads. Sometimes unsuitable ads for minors in a school.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dannydet
    Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones