• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apple picking

Public transit officials warn iPhone consumers of 'Apple Picking' - Yahoo! News

All over the news last night. Posting here since I don't think all of those that grab are the brightest, your Android might just be at risk. Especially the S3.

I guess purse snatchers are old school, so our modern tech is a step up. I remember it once was a popular crime.

Too bad you cannot catch these thieves and simply put an ice pick in their brain. NYC could add dumpsters with little carts that make it easy to load dead thieves into the dumpster.

Add an incinerator and make it run on used cooking oil so the green people will not object. Perhaps use CFL lamps for night deposits.

Upvote 0
My niece (a freshman at Temple) had her iPhone taken right out of her hands her first week at school on the subway and it was only a 4, not even a 4s. The police told her "Yeah, that happens a lot," gave her the report for her insurance and waved bye-bye.

Phone theft has outpaced underage drinking as the biggest offense on college campuses.

Reactions: StarScream2109
Upvote 0
My niece (a freshman at Temple) had her iPhone taken right out of her hands her first week at school on the subway and it was only a 4, not even a 4s. The police told her "Yeah, that happens a lot," gave her the report for her insurance and waved bye-bye.

Phone theft has outpaced underage drinking as the biggest offense on college campuses.

Sad to hear it. Not amazed or taken aback, which is also sad.

Upvote 0
I have connections with Loftus here in Utah. Perhaps they can start making exploding iPhones. That might help, I should think.

Bwa! ha ha ha! That reminds me of a James Bond movie where this guy walks up to a car with an alarm sticker, reads it and takes a tire iron to the window and the car explodes! Pfft! ba! ha ha ha!

Good one! :D

Upvote 0
Alright, a little common sense here...

I don't care what kind of phone you have!

Most snatchers are not always going to be able to tell what you're using and just snatch it "Hoping" for the elite iphone.

That would be my move!

I would go by based on opportunity of getting away with a phone snatching. Atleast I could make a few cents of an lower end device and hopefully get a good one along the way. I would put opportunity over trying to guess what you have in your hand.

No, I'm not a phone snatcher.

But in this economy? I'd be darn careful regardless of what phone you own!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
It's a really bad problem here in DC on the Metro. Thieves wait for right when the doors close and snatch them from folks and are able to flee pretty easily. There are PSA signs all over the place. One other nice reason not to have an iPhone. No one has any idea what my phone is. :)

Depending on your state laws, you can have Smith&Wesson as your phone/body guard! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones