• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apple Press Relase on Signal Issues

If this turns out to be a design problem which it seems to be from everything that's posted about the issue, then it will more than likely affect ALL the iPhones. The difference is the strength of the signal in the coverage area. If you're in an area with good coverage you'll hardly if ever see the problem - that still doesn't mean it's ok.

As for the people bringing up the Nexus, Evo etc having signal issues, yeah that's when you cover their antennas which are on the bottom or top. That's not the normal way to hold the phones however, a big difference. Plus the amount of signal loss that was observed with the iPhone was worse.

Upvote 0
I have an iPhone and multiple Android devices. I think it's fair to say that people may be on this forum either because they've got an Android phone and might be (might have) been considering the new iPhone, or vice versa - or they're just into technology and have invested in multiple devices.

This forum is open to all as far as I can see.

I think Apple mentioned certain devices in their press release/open letter because these are devices that have sold VERY well and are therefore the highest competition for the iPhone (in the USA at least). Apple didn't even bother to re-write its release for other countries, so the UK got the exact same word-for-word copy. Ironic given we don't have the Droid here (obviously we do have the Milestone, but that was never officially released on any network).

Apple did this purely to put doubts into your mind, that perhaps your highly successful rival is just as faulty as the iPhone 4. With the power of the Internet and the spreading of the gospel by Apple fanboys, I am sure that patronising release will be treated as fact by a sizeable percentage of people. As time goes on, we'll only remember that it was "something about software and all mobiles have the same problem". Never underestimate the power of spin (or should that be iSpin?)

Upvote 0
It's common sense, covering a phone antenna with your hand degrades the signal quality. As for the iPhone, they have extreme signal degradation which goes far beyond what other phones exhibit. I have read Apple claims there is a problem with the signal indicator not being accurate, but I think that is just a convenient cop out. Since I do not have the phone, nor handled the phone and experienced this first hand, I cannot comment if its a real huge problem or just blown out of proportion. Personally I think it was a really stupid engineering where they tried to be put "revolutionary" ahead of practicality. Apple needs to put their ego in check.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones