1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Apple pushes updated to iPhones why not Android?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MLCarter1976, Dec 12, 2013.

1. MLCarter1976

MLCarter1976 Lurker

I want to start by saying I am not looking to start a war or fight, etc. Just want to get my question answered (not who is better, etc.)

Seems that Apple pushes out software updates to their phones, but not Android or Virgin Mobile / HTC.

I know that Apple is the hardware manufacturer but they have various versions with different hardware on them.

Why can't HTC or Virgin Mobile do the same? Test it out (or is that the thing, no money / time / energy / effort to "test?" and then release the update?

Just frustrating that other people get "THEE" update and others are on "older" versions.

I am happy with my "old" phone, but would like to get some COOL "Shiney" new software and stuff!

I am scared / uncertain of how to "root" so I don't.

But would like some constructive discussion on why the maybe / is the case.

Thank you!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Why it isn't Google is easy: they don't make your phone. If you have an HTC with Virgin software then it relies on HTC providing an update and _then_ Virgin deciding that they think it is worth the effort of making their changes to that and distributing it.

Apple don't let the network modify the software (a result of hardball negotiation by SJ and a unique market power), and actually only have 3-4 models to support (because the older models don't get the update). So it is entirely in their hands, and they have fewer models to support.

Yes, it would be good if more manufacturers provided updates faster and for longer, though achieving that is hard if carriers are involved. But it is a cost, and I suspect many/most owners don't actually notice if they don't provide many updates (people here are atypical of smartphone owners).

For the manufacturer, it must be a balance between maintaining enough customer satisfaction that they buy another of their phones rather than go to a rival, vs delaying that next purchase.

One other reason Apple are different is that they get money from app or music purchases as long as you keep using an iPhone. HTC only get anything if you buy another HTC (Samsung try with their own app store, but does anyone actually use that?).

No insider knowledge, just a mix of observation and speculation.

3. np6s4x

np6s4x Well-Known Member

it depends on device you buy, if you buy directly from google ("google play edition", and nexus) this does happen. it's when you buy carrier specific devices that the updates take longer, or not at all (verison htc one vs. gpe htc one, being a good example)