• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apple sues HTC and said mostly because of Nexus One & Moto Droid & HTC Droid Eris

I disagree even if the Iphone goes to multiple carriers it will still have the same problems it has now. It won't change the fact that Android has a better UI is more open for the user etc.. in all honesty it will just mean people will buy the Iphone realize just how crappy it is and switch to an Android because they will be able to do that then, where as now they would have to switch carriers. Iphone was the first widely used smartphone "yes" but in Apples move to only offer it on AT&T it was smart and stupid! it was smart because if they had made it widespread people would have realized long ago that its not the best smartphone out there and it wouldn't have the "following" it has now and its stupid because they limited themselves for a quick buck and good lord they did a crappy job of picking a carrier!

Sometimes it doesn't matter who builds the best phone or who has the best OS. Sometimes it is more important to have the best marketing and Apple has that with the iPhone. There is a very good reason that advertising works. All that said, the iPhone on Verizon will probably sell better than the Droid and Storm 1 combined. The number one reason people leave the iPhone is the carrier. It is the most common negative against the phone. As a matter of fact there are a bunch of people on this very forum that would probably jump on the iPhone if it ever came to Verizon. While it holds zero interest for me, I wouldn't call any of the people willing to jump to it stupid by any means.

Upvote 0
Sometimes it doesn't matter who builds the best phone or who has the best OS. Sometimes it is more important to have the best marketing and Apple has that with the iPhone. There is a very good reason that advertising works. All that said, the iPhone on Verizon will probably sell better than the Droid and Storm 1 combined. The number one reason people leave the iPhone is the carrier. It is the most common negative against the phone. As a matter of fact there are a bunch of people on this very forum that would probably jump on the iPhone if it ever came to Verizon. While it holds zero interest for me, I wouldn't call any of the people willing to jump to it stupid by any means.

Yes that is a very good point I didn't really consider it that way! and I must admit if they made the Iphone more dependable and open sourced and it came to verizon I would jump on it myself!:D

Upvote 0
Sometimes it doesn't matter who builds the best phone or who has the best OS. Sometimes it is more important to have the best marketing and Apple has that with the iPhone.

I was always astounded that iPhone exploded in popularity the way it did being on one carrier like that.

Of course, at that time I was used to shopping for Blackberries and they have been everywhere.

Apple gets credit for coming up with a device that has captured the imagination of the hordes as it has; something about it must be good. Or must have been good compared to what was out there when it arrived.

Upvote 0
I was always astounded that iPhone exploded in popularity the way it did being on one carrier like that.

Of course, at that time I was used to shopping for Blackberries and they have been everywhere.

Apple gets credit for coming up with a marketing gimic that has captured the imagination of the hordes as it has; something about it must be good. Or must have been good compared to what was out there when it arrived.

Fixed it for ya :D

Upvote 0
Guys, when Apple sells 42 million iPhones in less than three years and over 90% of their owners would recommend it to others, I think that it is well past marketing gimmick. 84% of Android owners would recommend to another; I think that we can safely say that Android is also more than a marketing gimmick.

Upvote 0
Guys, when Apple sells 42 million iPhones in less than three years and over 90% of their owners would recommend it to others, I think that it is well past marketing gimmick. 84% of Android owners would recommend to another; I think that we can safely say that Android is also more than a marketing gimmick.

I won't ever call the iPhone a marketing gimmick, but I will always say that marketing is the main reason it is successful. It is the same reason that people think Rolex makes some of the best watches. Marketing and advertising drives our society as much as keeping up with the Joneses does. No, I wont call it a gimmick, but I will say that it is a smart phone made to be dumb and simple. Which is also one of the things that makes people want it. ;)

Upvote 0
initially... the iphone sold on nothing more than the marketing that was behind it... hell.. it couldnt even send pic messages... they FINALLY caught up with that last year. and half the people i know with an iphone still have to have pics sent to their phone's email address (ie. 2145551234@mms.att.net) rather than just their number... the hype that they created for it when they hit the market is the only reason they sold as well as they did. granted, they've gotten better in the past couple years... but you can't deny that if they hadn't marketed the 1st gen iphone as they did, it wouldnt have been nearly as big of a seller

Upvote 0
initially... the iphone sold on nothing more than the marketing that was behind it... hell.. it couldnt even send pic messages... they FINALLY caught up with that last year. and half the people i know with an iphone still have to have pics sent to their phone's email address (ie. 2145551234@mms.att.net) rather than just their number... the hype that they created for it when they hit the market is the only reason they sold as well as they did. granted, they've gotten better in the past couple years... but you can't deny that if they hadn't marketed the 1st gen iphone as they did, it wouldnt have been nearly as big of a seller

The hype made me want one because of the pictures of it.. it looked incredible for a cell phone.

Then the price made me balk, although I could have sprung for it. Then they lowered the price a while after that.

Then the reviews started looking negative, especially with regard to AT&T.

By then I was into Blackberries.

Upvote 0

I suspect a large contributing factor was the fact that there were few SMARTPHONE choices at the time. Now, a new device has lots and lots of competition.

Upvote 0
I suspect a large contributing factor was the fact that there were few SMARTPHONE choices at the time. Now, a new device has lots and lots of competition.

Actually, there were a bunch of smartphones on the market at the time. The problem was that none of them were really all that consumer friendly. Many of them didn't even have native media players. The iPhone helped take the smartphone out of the geek and professional market and made it something the average Joe could find useful.

Upvote 0
Actually, there were a bunch of smartphones on the market at the time. The problem was that none of them were really all that consumer friendly. Many of them didn't even have native media players. The iPhone helped take the smartphone out of the geek and professional market and made it something the average Joe could find useful.

Were they the first touch-screen?

If not, they're the first I remember anyway.

Upvote 0
Palm may not have enough time to see a lawsuit to the end, not to mention the ability to pay the legal fees.

oh I'm sure some lawyers would stick with em for a bite of that sweet apple cash. I said it way back I wish google would buy palm and just sue apple out of business. So many patents infringed, I think the only reason palm hasnt sued apple is some wierd hope apple will stop android and give them a way back in....silly thinking if you ask me as from what I've seen of the new web os, while not my particular style was really well done, and android is not the "os to beat" right now.

Upvote 0
oh I'm sure some lawyers would stick with em for a bite of that sweet apple cash. I said it way back I wish google would buy palm and just sue apple out of business. So many patents infringed, I think the only reason palm hasnt sued apple is some wierd hope apple will stop android and give them a way back in....silly thinking if you ask me as from what I've seen of the new web os, while not my particular style was really well done, and android is not the "os to beat" right now.

I think Palm hasn't sued Apple, because right now, they are hoping that they can find a way to survive.

When you are drowning, you rarely think about firing shots at other companies...

Now, if Google bought them, then that might be a different story. Google, with Palm's patents, could turn the iPhone into a fancy brick... No talky talky for you Mr. Jobs

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones