• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apple Tablet: Gamechanger for tablet devices?

We are only hours away from the official apple tablet release. I know this is an android forums, but I just want to see your opinions about this impending move by Apple. By all means, I am talking to Mr. Steve Jobs, seeing him saying this line: "Apple tablet will be the most important thing of my life" -- Is just fascinating to see.

So far, if we will look to the list of android tablets, the new ones (future contenders) are from Archos and perhaps to Cowon.. (I highly doubt that HP's new slate will ever be released on an android platform) That leaves with the Apple tablet, reigning supreme (I assume) for the tablet industry.:cool:

I don't know but today, sounds like another milestone of history yet to be unfold.. much like the 2008 (iPhone)

Source: Apple Tablet Specs and Review: Specifications Leaked / Pinoytutorial Techtorial

Well I personally do not see anything special about the iPad. Its basically an oversized iPod. With the exception of iTunes and the new iBook Store I think future Android based tablets will be just fine.

Agreed. I don't like the look of it at all. The thick black border around the screen seems awkward and could be put to better use..... as more screen. And the OS seems way too limiting, just like the iPhone. Definitely not something I'm gonna go after.

Upvote 0
Yea.. agreed.. but what's amazing is the hype about how the iPad will "change" everything.. so far I'm not seeing it.

other notes... $14.99 for 250mb and $29.99 for AT& unlimited data.. um which do you think people will buy? heh. And the fact that AT& is throwing in free wifi hotspots seems like a cya situation because of the iPhone 3G fiasco.

Upvote 0
Agreed. I don't like the look of it at all. The thick black border around the screen seems awkward and could be put to better use..... as more screen. And the OS seems way too limiting, just like the iPhone. Definitely not something I'm gonna go after.

Agree about the boarder. It's like an iPhone on steroids. Data plan Is 15 a month for 250mb month or 30 a month for unlimited 3g, prepaid no contracts. Start and stop !nytime.

Pretty cool. Once again Apple sets the standard. Seamless Integration with macs or pcs and it7nest. It's not for those geeks 2ho like to customize. None of apples stuff Is.

Upvote 0
The most basic version is comparable to the large Kindle in price ($499 to 469). After that you get kinda ridiculous. $600 for 32gigs but no 3g, $700 for 64bg with no 3g. tack on $130 to each price for inclusion of 3G.
I guess it will depend what everyone else comes out with to see how big of a game changer it will be (less we forget the N1 was supposed to be a game changer as well).

Upvote 0
Well I personally do not see anything special about the iPad. Its basically an oversized iPod. With the exception of iTunes and the new iBook Store I think future Android based tablets will be just fine.

"After nearly a decade of rumors and speculation, Apple's finally unveiled the iPad. It's a half-inch thick and weighs just 1.5 pounds, with a 9.7-inch capacitive touchscreen IPS LCD display, and it's running a custom 1GHz Apple "A4" chip developed by the P.A. Semi team, with a 10-hour battery life and a month of standby. It'll come in 16, 32, and 64GB sizes, and it's got the expected connectivity:" The best tablet in whole world indeed via engadget.

Upvote 0
Totally agree that e-ink is better for reading BUT do you think the average users would know the difference between an e-ink display and beautiful lcd ebook? Once the user picks up a kindle device and an ipad device I think you will see more coffee sippers at Starbucks flipping pages with ipad than kindles. Unbeknown to them.

Upvote 0
Interestingly it also doesn't sport a camera... both ways... like on the front and back would have been cool. You know.. see me and see what I'm seeing type of thing.

Also it would of been in a different category if it had some new TV service at announcement. I think that right there "would have" completely change the whole tablet industry. Who knows, they'll probably add it to iTunes in future releases.

Upvote 0
Totally agree that e-ink is better for reading BUT do you think the average users would know the difference between an e-ink display and beautiful lcd ebook? Once the user picks up a kindle device and an ipad device I think you will see more coffee sippers at Starbucks flipping pages with ipad than kindles. Unbeknown to them.

Except the smaller Kindle only costs half as much as the cheapest Ipad. Don't get me wrong the starbucks types tend to be the more elitist so maybe price wont be as much of a problem for them.

Upvote 0
The iPad is worthless. Nevermind the fact it sounds like a feminine hygiene product (sorry, ladies), it's a premium niche device and I can't see them selling many at $500+. Then again, the Apple fanboy base has surprised us before when they went out in droves to pay full price for the upgrade to the full price iphone they bought when it debuted. Anyway, they tout it as a better option than a netbook, but it doesn't have a camera, multi-tasking, or storage space that a netbook has. No thanks.

Upvote 0

+1

I have no idea how can he say that the apple tablet is the most important thing in his life.. I guess his followers will buy it like crazy on the day it releases..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones