• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apples are months old

Bob Maxey

Android Expert
Sep 24, 2010
Useless info . . .

I was watching a food show on Comcast and an apple grower mentioned why he does not like supermarket apples. Beyond the obvious reason, that is.

He mentioned that most apples found in the supermarket can be 10-12 months old. They are stored in cold rooms.

Seems odd that so many markets advertise their produce as being fresh. Never had a bad apple, so it matters little, I suppose.

Thought you might want to know; bet you thought this was about computers.

Our tests show supermarket apples are up to 10 months old - National

Hmm... I wonder how old Apples are in the US in the regular chain supermarkets. I googled "how old are apples?" and found articles from Australia, UK, and rest of Europe. I didn't find an article about apples in the US from the few pages that I went through. It makes me wonder as well if organic apples are not stored as long.

Upvote 0
Hmm... I wonder how old Apples are in the US in the regular chain supermarkets. I googled "how old are apples?" and found articles from Australia, UK, and rest of Europe. I didn't find an article about apples in the US from the few pages that I went through. It makes me wonder as well if organic apples are not stored as long.

Not sure. Not sure who to trust these days. All I know is this: apples are good if tart and not too sweet, apple pie is highly over rated, apple cobbler is double grand if served with ice cream apple-chestnut cookies are amazing, plum and apple compote is to die for, and old Grappa is fine indeed.

I bought a few apples tonight and they are ok.

Upvote 0
Years ago, you had a "root cellar" that stayed cold all year. Usually underground, and one year's harvest of apples would usually hold until the next year's crop.

Absolutely true. As I recall, you wrapped the apples in newspaper then buried it in straw, or something like that.

Until I saw the piece, I did not consider that my apples could be a year or so old. To be fair, I am not certain they are. The "Fresh Produce" sign confused me. FDA law says the word "Fresh" means food that is raw, has not been processed, and has not been frozen.

I always considered fresh to mean (in the case of apples) the fruit was recently picked. Do you think most consumers would consider a ten month old apple to be fresh?

I wonder how many supermarkets would sell apples (or other produce?) if they tell the customer that the apples are a year old.

We better drop it. Remember, Oprah was sued by the cattlemen because she insulted fast food hamburgers. Many of which are also a year old I sometimes think.

Upvote 0
Absolutely true. As I recall, you wrapped the apples in newspaper then buried it in straw, or something like that.

Until I saw the piece, I did not consider that my apples could be a year or so old. To be fair, I am not certain they are. The "Fresh Produce" sign confused me. FDA law says the word "Fresh" means food that is raw, has not been processed, and has not been frozen.

I always considered fresh to mean (in the case of apples) the fruit was recently picked. Do you think most consumers would consider a ten month old apple to be fresh?
I sure wouldn't.
We better drop it. Remember, Oprah was sued by the cattlemen because she insulted fast food hamburgers. Many of which are also a year old I sometimes think.
Hahah.. wowza. And double Eeeewwwww.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones