• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Application Dock Widget

Not trying to be facetious, but it is a dock for your applications. If you read Nicks88's post above, you get the general idea.

If you want a comparable product for Windows-based PCs, think RocketDock / ObjectDock.

You basically have a nice (and scrolling, in the case of the GDE application) place to place shortcuts to your favorite apps, to have them at easy access, as opposed to having to open the application menu and scroll to find them / having a bunch of shortcuts on your home screen cluttering up your desktop.

Upvote 0
You can put more apps in the dock then would normally fit on the screen. You can then slide the dock left or right to view the apps. If you're running short on real estate on your home screens you could use it as an alternative to folders.

I tried it, but didn't really care for it. I couldn't seem to arrange the order of my apps and in landscape mode the application names weren't visible.

Upvote 0
If you long press on the left or right side of the application dock widget in GDE, you can drag it to the trash. No need to reinstall. That widget is actually very helpful as you drag apps onto it, and you can scroll through them. Try it out, I think you'll like.

I drag the apps, but they just bounce back to original location?

Upvote 0
It's just too bad you can't put widgets into the application dock! You can put up to three of the docks per home screen. I don't know if there is a limit to the number of apps you can drop into the dock but it gives you lots of extra real estate. Even if you can only put ten apps in it effectively doubles the space on home screens.

Don't do four docks, you won't be able to slide to a different home screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones