• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Application] Eris Master Application [R00T]

Thanks ECLIPS3 - Silky smooth. Clicked down the center and everything went real well. I think I have what should be the final result with the official eris 2.1 ROM. Can I give you constructive feedback in exchange for the answer to a few questions, please. Do what you want with it, but you may value feedback from a root noob that is kind of computer savvy.

1) At the end of step 3 there is a prompt that pops up that says the phone is now in bootloader mode - I would recommend adding the following text, or something similar - "click ok and wait for further directions" - Nothing was happening on the eris, and I wasn't sure what to do, so I just clicked ok and then things continued. No big deal, but with everything else so clearly laid out, I figured I was supposed to do something more than just click OK.

2) I was never sure if it was necessary to "unlock" the Eris screen when it was booting up each time, I did it, but it wasn't ever if it mattered. Minor detail.

3) After everything is done in step 4, it reboots to the "setup screens". Obviously I'm rooted, but it wasn't obvious to me at the time. Maybe add, that this time we can go through setup - since you told us earlier we shouldn't

Again, thanks - you rock for making this so simple - now my question.

If I want to flash one of the other four Roms you offer in the current App, what are the steps? And briefly, what do the non-center buttons do and when should we use them (i.e. reboot, recovery, bootloader, backup apps, reinstall, flash splash)?

Upvote 0
Thanks ECLIPS3 - Silky smooth. Clicked down the center and everything went real well. I think I have what should be the final result with the official eris 2.1 ROM. Can I give you constructive feedback in exchange for the answer to a few questions, please. Do what you want with it, but you may value feedback from a root noob that is kind of computer savvy.

1) At the end of step 3 there is a prompt that pops up that says the phone is now in bootloader mode - I would recommend adding the following text, or something similar - "click ok and wait for further directions" - Nothing was happening on the eris, and I wasn't sure what to do, so I just clicked ok and then things continued. No big deal, but with everything else so clearly laid out, I figured I was supposed to do something more than just click OK.

2) I was never sure if it was necessary to "unlock" the Eris screen when it was booting up each time, I did it, but it wasn't ever if it mattered. Minor detail.

3) After everything is done in step 4, it reboots to the "setup screens". Obviously I'm rooted, but it wasn't obvious to me at the time. Maybe add, that this time we can go through setup - since you told us earlier we shouldn't

Again, thanks - you rock for making this so simple - now my question.

If I want to flash one of the other four Roms you offer in the current App, what are the steps? And briefly, what do the non-center buttons do and when should we use them (i.e. reboot, recovery, bootloader, backup apps, reinstall, flash splash)?

This is going to be long, and we apologize for that. Just trying to make sure it is complete.

First of all, we appreciate all feedback. We are trying to make it better every day, and we NEED feedback from you on what would make it better.

Second, that message box is a result of the reboot into bootloader mode button that we have. we are actually calling that code for that button. were trying to clean up the code as best we can. and that is something we havent gotten to yet, but we are working on making the messages more clear.

Third, thank you for pointing that out as we never thought about that. It has now been changed.

Right now, we dont have much ability to install a different rom, without know what each button does, and skipping some buttons and ignoring certain error messages. We started off by tackling the toughest part, which is getting root, and have been scrambling to update with new features, and that is one that were are trying to implement. At the end we will explain how to change roms.

The other buttons do pretty much what they say. Reboot will just reboot your phone, Recovery puts your phone into recovery mode to flash a new rom, or manage rom backups, and bootloader puts you into bootloader mode, it doesnt have alot of uses, but is there in case it is needed. Some of these features are for more advanced users, or devs, for easy access on their phones. Splash image changes the static splash image on your phone. Usually it is going to be the 3 androids with skateboards. We havent done a write up on how to use it yet, but the file must be in a .rgb565 file extension. Do a google search for .jpg or .png or w/e to .rgb565 converter and you will find plenty out there. The backup and reinstall apps buttons do just that. They will make a copy of all the applications installed on your phone so that you can reinstall them and not have to worry about finding them in the market again. However, you wont get notifications about app updates, right now. Currently, it is only for those on root, but we do have a way for those non rooted to use it as well, but havent coded it yet. We also have a way to restore market links, for app updates, but that hasnt been coded yet either.

To briefly explain on how to flash a new rom:

(we are not going to explain what every term means here, a google search will suffice.)

copy rom to phone, by mounting phone to pc. hit recovery button, go into back / restore and hit nandroid backup to backup your phone. then go back, and select wipe, and wipe the first option. then go to flash zip from sdcard and load the rom.

Reactions: orchard_112
Upvote 0
ahhhhhh my phone just keeps rebooting and showing the htc screen and the verizon screen over and over again......what did i do wrong? can i do it again?

trying the wipe thing again and loading the rom.

that fixed it.

Im having this same error. I tried whiping the dalvik-cache (i think that was the name i forgot exactly) and redoing the rom but I'm still getting the same reboot.... Any help?

went on IRC and jcase helped me fix it! Thanks a lot jcase.

Upvote 0
Currently the app doesnt support loading outside roms. we are working on adding more roms to it at the moment. If you hop on our IRC server we can talk you through doing it manually. It is easier to talk to you on IRC than on here, due to the instant feedback. the IRC server is IRC.zifnab06.net #erisroothelp or #droideris . you can download x-chat for free to use as an irc client if you dont have one.

Just curious, havent rooted yet but am getting ready to do so. Since this doesn't support outside loading of ROMS, how many are accessable through this method?

Upvote 0
Just curious, havent rooted yet but am getting ready to do so. Since this doesn't support outside loading of ROMS, how many are accessable through this method?

the old version has senseable 2, eris official .7, kaos legendary, vanilla droid, aloysius.

we have a new version coming out shortly that has added even more roms, and updated the roms to their current version. we have a lot of new features coming and are testing to make sure everything works. we have a fix for those on xp where files are not downloading. keep watching for a new release.

Upvote 0
Is it true that the OTA 2.1 had the same boot loader file as in 1.5....and its rootable using th he same methods? And if do, will this app work?

yes, the 2.1 OTA does have same bootloader version which is how we are able to root it just like how we rooted the 1.5 which has the same version.

and yes, this app will still work. i just updated the thread for new link to updated file and to add that to the top that it will work for 2.1 OTA.

Upvote 0
ECLIPS3, you and Jamezelle are the bomb! Thanks so much for helping me through this last night! This phone is rocking, now, and of course, my wife wants hers rooted now as well! LOL :)

Is there a list somewhere that has all the features of each individual ROM? I'm missing a couple things I thought were on this one.

Thanks again!!!

Upvote 0
trying this out.. chose Evil eris and download but after 100% it said cannot fully download but I'm not on Windows XP... so trying again with aloysius selected instead.. root and recovery image are checked at the bottom.

*edit*

again got the unable to download files b/c app cannot find or I'm on XP, neither the case. I'm on Win7 64bit, I got the USB driver installed and shows up in device manager as MyHTC under android usb devices...

Upvote 0
trying this out.. chose Evil eris and download but after 100% it said cannot fully download but I'm not on Windows XP... so trying again with aloysius selected instead.. root and recovery image are checked at the bottom.

*edit*

again got the unable to download files b/c app cannot find or I'm on XP, neither the case. I'm on Win7 64bit, I got the USB driver installed and shows up in device manager as MyHTC under android usb devices...

Same here

Upvote 0
This may be a stupid error on my part, but every time I try the first reboot it never gives me the option to update. Only says send for fast boot mode or vol down for recovery. If I choose fast boot, it's a never ending cycle of rebooting and if I chose recovery it goes to a screen with a triangle and an exclamation point. Any suggestions? Windows 7 32 bit and 2.1 leaked v3.

P.S for blue and aznguy: I had that problem last night, I then extracted the file for the program to a folder i created directly on the c:/ drive and it worked fine afterwards, however it took away a few of the roms? idk hahah

*edit* and yes I deleted the original PMG000.zip from my sd card before performing this. Also deleted it off my computer.

Upvote 0
ok so let me get this straight with these steps even a OTA 2.1 phone now now be rooted? i want 2 get my 2.1 eris flashed to cricket.

yes, 2.1 ota is rooted the same way 1.5 is rooted.

Was able to Root from 2.1OTA to Vanilladroid with the help of ECLIPS3. Thanks again for the help partner.

Hopefully it will be easier for others to root because it took me a few tries with the recovery issues.

I will try this out and see how I like.

Successfully R00Ted from 2.1 OTA to Aloysius. Thanks!

glad your rooted, and thanks for the comment.

i'm on windows 7, when i do to update the driver software i click on USB drivers (the ones i downloaded) and there are two empty folders in it, my computer wont detect the software

try using the htcsync program to install the drivers. but only connect your phone in charge mode for the whole root process.

ECLIPS3, you and Jamezelle are the bomb! Thanks so much for helping me through this last night! This phone is rocking, now, and of course, my wife wants hers rooted now as well! LOL :)

Is there a list somewhere that has all the features of each individual ROM? I'm missing a couple things I thought were on this one.

Thanks again!!!

glad we got you rooted. now lets get your wife rooted as well! just meet us in the IRC and we can walk you threw that too if you want.

the features list of each rom is in their thread, most roms are on XDA.

*edit*

did you extract the whole ema_downloads folder, or did you just extract the .exe file? make sure you extract the whole zip file to the c:\ drive, then replace the old .exe with the updated one.

This may be a stupid error on my part, but every time I try the first reboot it never gives me the option to update. Only says send for fast boot mode or vol down for recovery. If I choose fast boot, it's a never ending cycle of rebooting and if I chose recovery it goes to a screen with a triangle and an exclamation point. Any suggestions? Windows 7 32 bit and 2.1 leaked v3.

P.S for blue and aznguy: I had that problem last night, I then extracted the file for the program to a folder i created directly on the c:/ drive and it worked fine afterwards, however it took away a few of the roms? idk hahah

*edit* and yes I deleted the original PMG000.zip from my sd card before performing this. Also deleted it off my computer.

sounds like the root rom, PB00IMG.zip did not get copied over to your sdcard correctly, or got corrupted during download.

for anyone having trouble and want live help, visit us in the IRC channel: irc.wastate.net #emaroothelp or #erisroothelp, or #droideris

also, for bug reports, let us know on our google code page: http://goo.gl/yAG7

Upvote 0
Okay, I tried something new this morning. Since it seemed the program wasn't writing the PB00IMG.zip to my folder (I would look after it said it did and it wasn't there), I manually put it on there. I let it do its thing then it said "Main version is older! Update fail!" What do I do now? I am so confused...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones