• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Application relation to data usage

djaer

Lurker
May 30, 2010
Hey guys! This is my first post and Its for sure not going to be my last

I was just wondering a few things

1. I'm getting the Nexus One and putting the SIM Card from my other Rogers phone into it... will there be any problems/pitfalls i should look out for?

2. As far as applications go, if I don't have a data plan, will i be paying out the rear end to use apps such as facebook, last.fm etc?

3. Is there an app that lets you text/call for free?

4. Do you have to have a data plan to download apps when not in range of WiFi (if so how much does it cost to browse the store and download an app?)

5. Does it cost anything to use the GPS (Do you need a GPS plan?)

6. Is there an app that lets you track Text messaging usage, call time, data usage etc?

Thanks a bunch everyone!

GPS is free, all your phone does is receive the GPS satalites' signal.

For tracking mobile data I'd go for 3G watchdog, which is very useful. Most networks let you use mobile data without a data plan, but it can get very expensive very quickly. Facebook probably wouldn't be too expensive, but listening to music, watching youtube etc could be. You'll have to check with them what they'll charge you for data.

There are apps for tracking minutes/texts used but I'm not sure of any specific ones. I think there are lots to choose from on the market though. My SMS app (handcent) counts messages sent, which is handy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones