• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Application settings reset

weakref

Lurker
Jun 28, 2011
Hi all,

I have a strange problem with my Samsung Infuse (rooted). For some of the applications, the configuration somehow just does not stick. In other words, when I install and configure an application, if I start it again some time afterwards, it starts as if on the first launch (e.g., welcome screen pops up and settings are all reset to defaults).

Yes, cleaned up the cache
Yes, un-installed and re-installed apps in question
Yes, did factory reset
Yes, tried different ROMs (stock 2.2, OTA 2.3 and Zeus)

I have traced the issue down to /dbdata/databases/<package>/shared_prefs/<package>_preferences.xml. The scenario:
1. Install an app
2. Configure the app
3. Go to the xml file and check that settings are what they supposed to be
4. [Optional] Change file permissions to rw-rw-rw, just in case
5. Wiggle the thumbs for a while (no pattern here, in some cases a forced kill of the app does, in other times, does not have the described effect. Sometimes the app stays configured for few hours and through resets, sometimes it is back to the virgin state in seconds)
6. Restart the app
7. Go back to the xml

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones