• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Application to Display Battery Wear?

jamoosh

Android Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2010
Hi everybody,
I'm not sure if it is possible, but I'm looking for an application that indicates actual battery wear on Android.
In Windows, there is Powercfg through the command-line, as well as third party tools, such as Battery Bar, and in desktop Linux distributions, there are often built in GUI utilities, as well as command-line tools to read physical battery wear.
I've used the major battery applications for Android, such GSam and Battery Left; they are useful, but don't indicate actual wear on the physical battery.
Is this something that exists, that is possible, or is it impossible due to limitations in Android device hardware or the API?

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks.

When you say wear I think you mean aging.

It's a complicated thing to try to track and methods are necessarily indirect working with limited available info. Battery Monitor widget attempts to estimate ma-hr capacity of your battery for each charge/discharge cycle. His site had quite a bit of detail about the model he uses.. His method also varies by phone...some have charge current sensor which gives better estimate and I think the best estimate comes when you don't use your phone during charge period.

You can track his ma-hour i battery capacity estimate over time as qualitative indicator of degradation. Ideally if you do your first measurenent when phone is new you have a good basis for comparisonYou can also compare to oem soec although that comparison is dubious since different method is used to determine capacity'

Reactions: jamoosh
Upvote 0
Hi electricpete - thanks for your response.
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I will look into Battery Monitor Widget.
When you say wear I think you mean aging.

It's a complicated thing to try to track and methods are necessarily indirect working with limited available info. Battery Monitor widget attempts to estimate ma-hr capacity of your battery for each charge/discharge cycle. His site had quite a bit of detail about the model he uses.. His method also varies by phone...some have charge current sensor which gives better estimate and I think the best estimate comes when you don't use your phone during charge period.

You can track his ma-hour i battery capacity estimate over time as qualitative indicator of degradation. Ideally if you do your first measurenent when phone is new you have a good basis for comparisonYou can also compare to oem soec although that comparison is dubious since different method is used to determine capacity'

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones