1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Applications Causing Internal Memory Issues

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by agfreesafety, Aug 16, 2011.

1. agfreesafety

agfreesafety Lurker
    None

Aug 16, 2011
    I have a T Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide.

I have 5 apps that I either use all the time or use to help me with my career in one way or another. When I view them from within Manage Applications (in Settings menu), none of them give me the option to move them to my external 16GB card (ie the "Move to SD card" button is grayed-out).

The apps are causing my phone to respond extremely slow, and I can't even open emails using the native Email app, as I get errors stating that I don't have enough internal memory available.

To get the phone to work, I've been having to continually remove and reinstall these applications that I need, as I need them.

Is there a way I can move my apps to my SD card even though the option is grayed-out? If not, are there any other ways to keep using my much-needed apps, yet alleviate the internal memory issues they're causing?

I really wish this phone came with more internal memory. Thanks in advance for your taking the time to read this!

Advertisement

2. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
    agfreesafety likes this.
  3. agfreesafety

agfreesafety Lurker
    None

Aug 16, 2011
    Hey, thanks a lot! I have no idea what rooting is, but I will research it. What are the dangers to trying to "root" my phone? I will certainly give it a shot!

4. agfreesafety

agfreesafety Lurker
    None

Aug 16, 2011
    After I root it, I will need to do some additional work, correct? From reading this article, it appears that I'd need to run an additional program, like perhaps CyanogenMod, which forces applications over to the SD.

Am I right?

Thanks again.

5. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Android Expert
    None

Jan 21, 2011
    QA Admin
    SoCal
    Correct.
    You'll also find anything that uses widgets will not work from the SD card.

6. agfreesafety

agfreesafety Lurker
    None

Aug 16, 2011
    Step 1 says to: "Place the Contents of "update.zip" & "ota.zip" & "loop" into your Android SDK Tools folder."

What exactly is the Android SDK Tools folder? I don't have a folder by that name on my computer. Was I supposed to create one on the C: drive or something?

If so, should it be located at C:\Android\SDKTools?

I'm not clear on what they're referring to.

7. agfreesafety

agfreesafety Lurker
    None

Aug 16, 2011
    From what someone mentioned in that thread, I take it that you can use any folder on the computer, it doesn't have to have that name. The directions say to "Step 1.
    Place the Contents of "update.zip" & "ota.zip" & "loop" into your Android SDK Tools folder."

The update.zip and ota.zip contain some of the same files. I extracted the contents of ota.zip, then extracted the contents of update.zip into the same directory (per the instructions), and my computer asked me if I wanted to overwrite the existing version of that same file name. Should I overwrite the existing one?

Also, in step 9, what does "adb push ota.zip /sdcard/update.zip" mean? How do I go about executing that step?

I wish the author of those directions would have proofread what he typed, because it isn't really that clear, in my opinion.