1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

applications requesting login credentials? help, please

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by BSH, Aug 21, 2012.

1. BSH

BSH Member

I've recently run into trouble with my Google calendars. The primary Google account on my phone is my personal account, but I have it set up to access my work calendars. This was working fine, but lately I've been getting this warning:
    And after that, buttons to allow or deny access.

The list of applications requesting access to my work calendar is a long one, includes many apps that have no business accessing my calendar, and even apps that are not even installed on my phone (how that works, I've no idea). Since I don't want Flickr, or Facebook, or whatever accessing my calendar, I select "deny."

But since this has been coming up, my calendar is no longer syncing! Appointments entered on my phone are not showing up in G-cal on my computer. Under "accounts & sync," the calendar sync option gets a warning, "sync is currently experiencing problems."

Maybe before, I just clicked on accept without knowing or caring about the exposure, and somehow it lost the auth setting. Maybe Google changed something in the auth that requires new permission. And how the heck are apps requesting permission to access my calendar login, when I don't even have the app installed? Is there a way to resolve this without giving the world access to my calendar? Is there a way to give permission for the Calendar to sync, and deny unrelated apps? Or is this just part of me being the commodity by which Google makes vast quantities of money? (don't be evil, huh?)

I have a Droid Eris, running Android 2.1 rooted with xtrSense.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. T.M.M.L

T.M.M.L Android Enthusiast

Greetings BSH,

I think there is way to allow you to provide a separate password to an app, so that it can access your Google info without having your actual Google passwords.

I think it's called 2-step verification.