• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

applock cracked by 13 year old

archz2

May 29, 2012
Hello everyone,

I'm talking about applock by domobile lab. It is one of the most famous applock applications for android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.domobile.applock&hl=en

I've been using it for quite a while.
Yesterday, my 13 year old brother found a secret way to reset its password. He is not using the clear data option. There is no clear data option available for this app in manage apps section of settings.

I tried this too, but he found a way to reset the password. I locked various apps with the same Applock app but he managed to hack easily. He does the hacking in 10 minutes flat.

I locked Google play store

I locked settings. (so you can't uninstall any app)

I locked link2sd

He's not telling me how he did it.

The interesting part is, he knows no language or anything like coding etc. He just does it by going to various settings. I tried persuading him a lot but failed. I also searched on internet but there seems to be no way of cracking the security of applock.

Does anyone know the hack?

Have you tried changing the password? It's not listed in the stuff you have tried. It could simply have been he saw you enter the password and he's just toying with you. Another option is if I remember correctly, if you enter the password incorrectly for several times, you have an option to get the password from your email. Did you lock your email app? The fact that you locked settings means he can't get in there before hacking, so it has to be something done OUTSIDE settings without an app intervention.

It could also be as simple as you were using a pattern lock and the grease from your fingers is pretty visible on the screen so he can just trace them

Upvote 0
For s***s and giggles, I just loaded up AppLock on my (completely bone-stock and not-even-rooted Android 4.3) device and configured it similarly (locking Play Store, Settings, and Install Applications - no link2sd on my device).

Within a few minutes, I came up with two easy ways to circumvent or disable AppLock:

1) Reboot. Once Android loads again, immediately go to Settings > Apps and uninstall or clear data for Applock. If you're quick, you can do this before non-system services and applications get started up.
2) Reboot into Safe Mode (press-and-hold power to get the Power Off menu, then press-and-hold the Power Off option until a "Reboot into Safe Mode?" prompt appears). Safe Mode is a handy function of stock Android which effectively disables all third-party applications from running at boot. Once in Safe Mode, take your time going to the Manage Apps menu and remove/wipe AppLock as needed.

Not saying this is the route your kid went, but this is what worked for me in a few minutes of tinkering.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones