1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Appropriate language

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box & Feedback' started by El Presidente, Sep 15, 2011.

1. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member Thread Starter

Following a PM conversation with a member and discussions in the Guides section last night. Would it be possible to add the term "spazz" and all it's variations to the below section of the site rules and guidelines?

I appreciate to some it may have a different meaning and doesn't seem harsh, however to others, it has different connotations. In the UK, it is often used as a derogatory term to imply someone has learning disabilities and has the potential to cause offence: Urban Dictionary: spazz

To many, it's comparable with the use of the word r_etarded and can cause serious offence.

Advertisement

Sue7M3 likes this.
  2. Phases

Phases NO LONGER ADMIN

Since this isn't the first time I've been asked about that word - I can agree with it. Basically, it's a synonym. I'll update the post.

Sue7M3, Bob Cat, NightAngel79 and 3 others like this.
  3. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member Thread Starter

Thank you, it's appreciated. :)

4. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

Along these lines - a user in the BIONIC forums used a workaround to use the word re-tarded to refer to himself, and I replied that he was not (also using the workaround - my apologies, I shouldn't have).

Another user respectfully asked that it not be used, and I agreed, but in the future, should the post just be edited to remove the work around?

Here are the posts:

5. Phases

Phases NO LONGER ADMIN

It's not that it is offensive when directed at someone - it's offensive to be used in that context, period. Especially to say, parents of a special needs child, who surely make up a percentage of our userbase.

johnlgalt and NightAngel79 like this.
  6. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter
    Administrator

My opinion is ANY 'work-around' to get a filtered word posted is against rules/guidelines, you will see it with (language hide)
    f*ck, re-****, p*ssy, and any other of the various possibilities
    I have been as guilty of this as anyone, in the past, and think it really shouldn't be allowed (please report it if you see it)

7. Phases

Phases NO LONGER ADMIN

The filters are in fact there for a reason.

NightAngel79 and johnlgalt like this.
  8. johnlgalt

Consider my previous post a report then - I'd edit the post myself, but since I've brought it to your attention, let's let you all step in and give us all a firm reminder. :D

9. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter
    Administrator

class about to start, go ahead and report it john if you dont mind (unless bossman already got to it)

10. johnlgalt

Lol - I was reporting and just as I hit enter I saw the little note at the bottom about how guides can edits posts, titles, etc....

I can edit them myself if you'd like, and make another post about the final reason. And add a mea culpa to boot.

11. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery

Yup, if you see anything like that, just report it for the MODs to handle :)

johnlgalt likes this.
  12. Phases

Phases NO LONGER ADMIN

Nah that's not a guide role, the editing is for user requested edits and maintaining stickies. :)

johnlgalt and NightAngel79 like this.
  13. surlypoker

surlypoker Well-Known Member

Ive only saw stars in this thread... I would like to know... Being someone that cusses a lot id like to know what i can and cannot say here...

14. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery

If the word you type has been starred out, it would mean that that word should not be posted. Do not attempt to by pass the system by putting a space or character or number between the letters. Doing so will get you in trouble. Remember to never attack a member or group when you post and you will be fine. If you have an issue with a posted, report the lost instead of engaging with the member.

15. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

I have a word that I think should be ****'d. Its very offensive, but perhaps only the British use it. I dont really want to post it though.

How do I add it for consideration?

16. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

Best bet is probably PM Phases about it, SUroot. Chances are he already knows it as he's heard me speak several times. In fact I probably taught him a few new ones! :eek:

SUroot likes this.
  17. Phases

Phases NO LONGER ADMIN

It's discussed on the rules and guidelines thread:

http://androidforums.com/introductions/704-site-rules-guidelines.html

There are a few words we ask you don't use, at the moment they are (and variations of):
    t_wat c_unt p_ussy f_aggot r_etard f_ag f_uck s_pazz gay (as in, calling something "gay", not speaking of the sexual preference)

Otherwise you're fine if you're not directing things at people and being hateful. That falls under disrespect more than it does the language aspect, but it won't help anything.

"What a shitty phone", or "Son of a bitch!" is fine.
    "You're a piece of shit" or "Jump in a lake, bitch." is not.

SUroot and NightAngel79 like this.
  18. SUroot

Well the word in question is a variation of the first word you hid. But begins with "t" (slug knows I'm sure). I shout it at the bad guy on tv all the time. It's nearly as bad as the word previously mentioned but not quite. Just as offensive to women I believe

19. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Unlike the examples Phases gave with bitch/shit, I'm failing to think of any acceptable uses for it on the forums too.

20. Phases

Phases NO LONGER ADMIN

Just Pm me :)

21. SUroot

There isn't for this word.

Pm coming

;)

22. Phases

Phases NO LONGER ADMIN

Cool, added to list.

SUroot likes this.
  23. Steven58

Steven58 Recognized Incompetent Moderator

Post- Whore. Personally, this term has always concerned me. Some people post a lot and are helpful to others. Other people, who may actually be jealous, automatically use that pejorative term whenever anyone has a higher post count than them.

I'm thinking mainly of my friend Martimus. The abuse he's taken is deplorable. Nick too.

This term is unfair to our members with higher post counts and to sexual professionals the world over.

24. johnlgalt

I use that term to refer to myself all the time - and I'm nowhere near your pc (post count).

That being said, well, some terms have to be taken on a case by case basis - as evidenced earlier in the thread, it'd be (semi) OK to say "Sonofabitch!" in response to a post that someone had dropped their brand new $700 tablet and cracked the screen, but in appropriate to say "You sonofabitch!" to someone who stated your previous post was incorrect.

I see the same thing applying here - my posts where I refer to myself as a post whore should not be counted against me - but if I refer to someone else as "nothing but a minimum character post whore" then it should be held against me.

And as for sexual professionals of the world - you ain't right.

25. Steven58

Steven58 Recognized Incompetent Moderator

Lol. I'm KIDDING!