• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Apps 2 SD

D

Deleted User

I currently have the original Samsung Epic. I will likely get the Epic Touch next month when I can upgrade.

I have been trying to understand the memory configuration by reading threads on here and playing with the phone in the store. What I understand is:

There are 16 gigs total. 2 of those gigs is called "internal memory". 11 gigs is called an "internal SD card" or "USB storage". If I put a SD card in the phone, that will show up as "external SD storage". Is this correct?

Also, if I install the app "Apps 2 SD", will that let me move apps from the internal 2 gigs to my external SD card?

It seems if an app lets you move it to the SD card, does that mean you can move it from internal memory (2 gigs) to the internal usb storage (11 gig) or to the external SD card? Right now the Apps 2 SD app lists phone only and SD card. Will there be three tabs if I install it on the Touch? One for phone only, one for the internal SD card and one for the external SD card?

The 11GB are for photos, music and other files like podcasts and Kindle books. But you can default the photos and videos you take to store the SD card. The other stuff ends up in your 11GB internal storage and you would need to manually move it to your SD card. Some programs may allow you to default to the SD card for storage, but most of them just end up in the 11GB space.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
The 11GB are for photos, music and other files like podcasts and Kindle books. But you can default the photos and videos you take to store the SD card. The other stuff ends up in your 11GB internal storage and you would need to manually move it to your SD card. Some programs may allow you to default to the SD card for storage, but most of them just end up in the 11GB space.

Thanks. I am just trying to understand how my three spaces (internal 2 gigs, internal 11 gigs and external SD card) work. I am coming from the original Epic, so, all I have now is internal memory and the external SD card.

I am sure once I finally get the Epic Touch and start playing around with it, it will clear up any questions I have. I hope.

Thanks again for the replies.

Upvote 0
Apps2SD goes to the external SD card, not the internal storage memory.
Not true everytime. We have a dicussion going in w/the International GS2 & its still confusing. I have the E4GT & a lot of the time when I use apps2sd or even go into settings & do it manually, the app goes to the 11.5GB of INTERNAL STORAGE 1st. I still dont know why. Ive tweeted Samsung & everything, but they just directed me to their website which didnt help @ all.

Upvote 0
Apps2sd will not go to the external SD card. It will go to the internal SD card. The 2 gigs of storage is used for apps. The other 11 gigs is where your music and photos go to by default. Apps can be moved to the 11 gigs on the internal sd card. You can easily move music and photos to the external SD card by using the default file manager. Or you can set your camera to save to the external SD card. There however is no easy way to get apps to the external SD card. I tried to manually move them from my computer bit the epic touch won't recognized the files.

Reactions: gabeny
Upvote 0
I went to Settings - Applications and moved many apps to the external SD, however most of the time they would not move the first time. They would move the second time I tried. I think this might be a glitch in the latest update?
With this phone I don't need it, but on the EVO, I used an app from the Market to move everything movable to the card. There are several apps available with similar names "Apps2sd" & "App2sd" etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones