• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps and Games for pixel 2

I can't see any reason you can't just leave it. It's an official Google APK, and will just be replaced by an over the air update at some point.

If you really wanted rid of it uninstalling updates to the app should do it, but I can't see why you'd bother.

I have downloaded it from Apkmirror , Previously when I used to go into Google play services app via settings and click on app details it used to led me to play store but since I have updated it it is not taking me to play store page after clicking on App details, also there is one update for AR sticker on play store but this update is not available for me, Because of these 2 reasons I am planning to quit ,but if I quit from this Apk I may need to uninstall updates it may wipe out February security patch as well I guess, I have doubt it may create problems in phone
Please advise what do you think?

Upvote 0
Uninstalling updates to the Play Services app will do nothing to the operating system.

I don't understand what you are saying about going to Play Services via settings and clicking on details to go to the Play Store, but if I want to open the Play Store I just open the Play Store. And I admit I know nothing about AR stickers (no interest whatsoever to me). Of course the apkmirror Play Services is a beta, so it's possible it contains bugs.

I don't think there should be any long term downside to uninstalling updates to Play Services. In the short term you'd have an older version, which may have some effects, but it should update again in due course. Uninstalling updates will clear data for Google Play Services as well though. Again that won't have long term effects, but could mean that you don't get notifications from some apps for a while (GMail for example - I cleared Play Services data a couple of months ago and GMail's new message notifications stopped for several days). So maybe try clearing the apps cache first and see whether that helps, rather than going straight to uninstalling updates.

Upvote 0
Uninstalling updates to the Play Services app will do nothing to the operating system.

I don't understand what you are saying about going to Play Services via settings and clicking on details to go to the Play Store, but if I want to open the Play Store I just open the Play Store. And I admit I know nothing about AR stickers (no interest whatsoever to me). Of course the apkmirror Play Services is a beta, so it's possible it contains bugs.

I don't think there should be any long term downside to uninstalling updates to Play Services. In the short term you'd have an older version, which may have some effects, but it should update again in due course. Uninstalling updates will clear data for Google Play Services as well though. Again that won't have long term effects, but could mean that you don't get notifications from some apps for a while (GMail for example - I cleared Play Services data a couple of months ago and GMail's new message notifications stopped for several days). So maybe try clearing the apps cache first and see whether that helps, rather than going straight to uninstalling updates.

Thanks bro for taking out time to answer my query, Finally just tell me do I uninstall Play services Apk or continue with ?

Upvote 0
Actually since you mention the "AR Stickers" app I've had a look, and I'm a little confused.

* If I look on my phone I see no update and a version dated 6 December 2017 (i.e. the version that came with the December 6th system update). That sounds consistent with what you say. Version number is 1.0.171127163.

* If I look on play.google.com I see a version dated 8 Feb 2018. But the "current version" field shows 1.0.171127163, which is the same as the "December 2017" version on my phone.

* And just to be complete, I tried "uninstalling" from the Play Store (which was described as "uninstall updates" when I pressed the button). This changed the "AR Stickers" app version to 0.1 (so it did something), and I was then offered an "update" by the Play Store back to 1.0.171127163 (dated 6 December on my phone).

So it's not clear to me that they've actually released an update yet at all, despite stories in the tech press, and hence your inability to get an update may not be related to the Play Services version you are using. For what it's worth, I did spot that one story describing the update said that updating "did not make the new stickers available immediately", which also makes me wonder whether the author had actually installed a real update or not.

Upvote 0
Ok, I was just notified of an update to AR Stickers, and this one has a different version number, is dated today, and the description mentions the new stickers. I am using the apkmirror beta Play Services.

So for one of your issues it seems there is no need to revert. It was just that the publicity came before the software rolled out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones