• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Apps and other things won't load most of the time

Crystalline

Mar 5, 2016
I have the Vodafone Smart Grand 6. It uses Android Lollipop 5.1. The phone isn't rooted (I think).

I was looking for some budget Smartphones when I saw several positive reviews on various websites for Vodafone's Smart line of phones, so I ended up going with that one.

It certainly looked and felt good, especially for its price, which was 85 Euros, but lately it's been pissing me off with this one thing it does; when I tap an app to open it, the screen will either turn white, grey or just have the name of whatever I tried to open up on top or something, and the end result will be the same: the app just won't load. It'll stay there, frozen, and the only thing I can do is simply close it. Now matter how many times I try opening it, it just won't start.

This has happened with several apps, such as Google Play, any game I install on the phone, sometimes the Gallery, Camera, Skype, and even the Calendar.

Now here's what's weird about it: If I shut the phone off and turn it back on, the apps and features in question will all work, but only during the first few times I open them. Google Play won't even open a second time, once I close out of it and try to open it again. It's ridiculous.

There's even been instances where I unlock the phone, attempt to type in my screen lock password, and the letters won't show up as they're being typed. No password gets typed into the field, and I can't unlock my Phone. I then have to wait 5 to 10 whole minutes, unlock it again, and THEN the password will get typed. It's super annoying.

I wouldn't mind Slowness being the issue, here. This is a budget Smartphone we're talking about. What I find appalling is that apps and other stuff won't even load in the first place! I don't mind if things work slow. I just want them to work :(

Any advice? Is this something that I can fix? Do you think this phone is faulty and that I should just exchange it for another? Or is the Smart Grand 6 just that horrible and there's nothing I can do about it?

Please, someone help.

FYI, if you purchased the phone new, it certainly shouldn't be rooted, so that should not be part of the equation.

I'm wondering if there is something going on a boot-up time that is still running even several minutes after you get past the lockscreen...my Samsung Galaxy Nexus had an fsck (file system check) process that would randomly run on/after rebooting...this caused a noticeable delay.

Also, does this device have a true external SD card? If so and it's trying to be mounted and perhaps being scanned and is it in good working condition (i.e., are you seeing any other issues or behaviors related to accessing the external SD card)?

Just brainstorming here...best of luck!

Upvote 0
FYI, if you purchased the phone new, it certainly shouldn't be rooted, so that should not be part of the equation.

I'm wondering if there is something going on a boot-up time that is still running even several minutes after you get past the lockscreen...my Samsung Galaxy Nexus had an fsck (file system check) process that would randomly run on/after rebooting...this caused a noticeable delay.

Also, does this device have a true external SD card? If so and it's trying to be mounted and perhaps being scanned and is it in good working condition (i.e., are you seeing any other issues or behaviors related to accessing the external SD card)?

Just brainstorming here...best of luck!

I went to the store where I purchased the phone, asked around, and it turns out it's the MicroSD card I had inside that was causing all the trouble, apparently. Without any SD card inserted, everything works as it should. Anyways, initially they said I should just reset the phone, format the SD card, put it back, and select the "write memory to phone storage" instead of writing it to the SD card, but the issue still persists. I rang in today and was told that I should try a different SD card with a faster speed class (such as 10) and see how the phone handles it. The current card I was using was only speed class 4, apparently. If things still don't work, then I'm heading back to the store and have them take a look at the SD card slot and other stuff to see just what the hell's going on.

Either the card I have isn't working properly, its speed class is too slow, or some other stuff's going on with it OR it's the phone itself that has malfunctioning components and whatnot. One of the two.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones