• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Apps are not closing

zelda111222

Aug 27, 2010
So I went to the menu where you can see how much battery you have left and what apps are using battery life. Google Maps and internet were using the battery eventhough I wasn't using them. I tapped on Google Maps and Internet and got an option to close the app so I did. But the apps didn't close.

Could anyone help me out here? (and don't tell me to get a task killer)

Are you sure they didn't close, as opposed to they did close but were then restarted? I've never known an app refuse to close, but there are some which tend to restart shortly afterwards (though I've not known either of these to do that).

A quick fix might be to just reboot the phone, to clear whatever condition is causing this. If it's the same after the reboot I'd wonder whether you are running something else which might be setting these apps going?

I should note that I just checked my app list (after restarting the phone 2 hours ago) and found maps was loaded, though inactive in the background. In this state it's not using cpu resources, though it does take up some RAM, so just seeing it in the list of "running" applications isn't itself a problem (though I'd love to be able to stop junk like "stocks" starting themselves up, just as a matter of neatness).

Upvote 0
I've got the same problem, i only got the phone a few hours ago and am struggeling to get apps to close.

I used contacts, facebook, googlemaps, camera and calender, and then wanted to close them all, so downloaded that advanced task killer from the market, and i can see them in the list, i can select them and click on "kill selected app", but then when i press and hold the "home" button on the phone they are still there.

What am i doing wrong ? I tried restarting and that didn't help either, it did close the apps, but i can't seem to close any apps with the program after i opened them again.

Upvote 0
You don't close apps on android. They just get put into the background.

Yer i read that, but having them all in the background (specially if you've got like 10 things running simultaneously) does take up battery doesn't it ?

I mean, i can get them out of the task manager by restarting the phone, but i thought the whole idea of that task killer app was to remove them from the task manager as well ?

Upvote 0
I've got the same problem, i only got the phone a few hours ago and am struggeling to get apps to close.

What am i doing wrong ?

You aren't doing anything wrong...

You are using Android.

It's supposed to be that way. This is an OS that is totally different than what you may be used to. Unlike Windows, or OS X desktop apps, or other smartphone OS's, Android manages memory totally differently. It is "smart" and will close apps only as memory runs low. In the mean time, it allows processes to run in the background. They do not slow your phone down or cause problems. They actually speed things up, as they are "at the ready" to go into action when you want to use those apps.

You job, is to just use the phone and enjoy it.... :)

I Love Android!

Just think, as young as Android is, and it's this good already, it's really going to get better as each new version is released.

Upvote 0
Yer i read that, but having them all in the background (specially if you've got like 10 things running simultaneously) does take up battery doesn't it ?
Yes, a very small amount of power however, and it's designed to be that way. Nothing to be concerned about.

I mean, i can get them out of the task manager by restarting the phone, but i thought the whole idea of that task killer app was to remove them from the task manager as well ?
Never... use a task killer. Those were designed with a complete misunderstanding of how Android operates. In many cases they will actually slow your phone down. Instead... take some time and learn about Android. Google the topic of task killers and you will learn a lot of interesting facts about Android. Sure you will come across a few "pro task killer" articles, but if you keep reading you will see they are truly unnecessary.

Cheers... :)

Upvote 0
True, i've never used any other OS then MS windows on my computers since i was a kid, and this is my first smartphone/android phone.

My previous phone is an nokia N85 so this is all very new to me.

So you're saying let everything just run in the background, it doesn't really matter ?

Though, coming back on using ATK/ATM, should that not remove them from the background/taskmanager though, as that is the whole idea of the app ?

Upvote 0
True, i've never used any other OS then MS windows on my computers since i was a kid, and this is my first smartphone/android phone.

My previous phone is an nokia N85 so this is all very new to me.
I've had tons of smartphones, many unlocked GSM models of various brands that I got outside of the USA. Lots of fun.

So you're saying let everything just run in the background, it doesn't really matter ?
Yes precisely!

Though, coming back on using ATK/ATM, should that not remove them from the background/taskmanager though, as that is the whole idea of the app ?

Do yourself a huge favor and forget all about ATK/ATM. Period.

Don't obsess (I've done that) over some of the things you read on forums. You will only waste valuable time and stress over nothing.

If you want to "do something"... use it and enjoy it. Focus on the tasks you want it to do for you, and the different apps available to get that done. I have found that I'm enjoying Android better than any of my past BlackBerry's, iPhones, Windows Mobile, and the like.

Cheers... :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones