• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Apps are randomly downloaded?

Asmitih

Lurker
Mar 9, 2017
Hello, I've had my Motorolla X Pure for more than a year now and recently I've been having issues with it. At least once a day I have been getting random apps installed onto my device, but when I click on them it takes me to an obvious scam site. I've tried downloading Malwarebytes from the Play Store, and another one, CCleaner I think.

Please help

First thing: are these apps or just shortcut icons on the desktop? They sound more like the latter to me.

Either way it's probably that you've downloaded and installed something dodgy, but how you'd trace it might depend on what it is. If these things are actual apps rather than shortcuts (so you can see them in Setting > Apps or in the app drawer) then you need something capable of scanning app permissions (e.g. Addons Detector, or many security apps - MalwareBytes may be able to) and look for any app that has the permissions to install other apps.

It may be as simple as your web browser has got infected with some adware (if your browser can place shortcuts on the desktop and some script is taking advantage of that). Try clearing your browsers' cache, and be suspicious of any add-ons you added shortly before this started.

If that doesn't fix it, any app you installed or updated shortly before this started is a suspect. And stuff you install from sources other than the Play Store (or Amazon app store, of F-Droid) is more likely to be an issue than stuff installed from known and trusted sources. A few years ago there was a type of advertising code that could put shortcuts on the website, but it has been banned from the Play Store, (Airpush or push notifications, was what it was called). However, it might still exist elsewhere, so if you've been installing from other sources this is something else to consider.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones