• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps being installed to the mircoSD card?

I apologize in advance since there are already a few threads related to the whole discussion of how apps are instead on the Moto Droid (although it doesn't see like anyone has a definite answer), but I noticed something today I found interesting, first the back story..... my original phone kept shutting off and then wouldn't boot into the Android OS, so I took it back to Verizon today and they replaced. They swapped out the SD card from the original phone and put it into the new phone. Here is the interesting part, two of my apps were on the new phone without me having to go to the market and download them again. Shopsavy and Robo defense free were both on the new phone right at the start up of the new phone, leading me to believe that full apps can be installed to the SD card? The only thing I could think of to explain them being back on my phone but not on the SD card would be that part of the program was on the SD card and when it booted up it say the .exe for the program wasn't there so it went out automatically and downloaded them again without me giving the phone permission to do so. I don't think I'll hit the 256 max anyways but considering the concensus is that you can't save the entire app to the SD card I found this interesting. Can anyone shed some light on this, or am I just crazy?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones