• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Apps cannot be moved to SD Card

I just bought a 32gb card and moved my music and pictures to it. My question is, can I also move the apps I installed onto it and will they still just work or do I have to do something to make my phone know where they moved? Will the icons remain on the screen I put them on?

Would be nice to just be able to transfer this card to a new phone when the time comes to upgrade and just have all my stuff ready to go.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I had an iphone up until a month and a half ago.

Upvote 0
I just bought a 32gb card and moved my music and pictures to it. My question is, can I also move the apps I installed onto it and will they still just work or do I have to do something to make my phone know where they moved? Will the icons remain on the screen I put them on?

Would be nice to just be able to transfer this card to a new phone when the time comes to upgrade and just have all my stuff ready to go.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I had an iphone up until a month and a half ago.

First off, installing an app to an SD card only moves parts of the app. There are always other bits left behind that are required so you'd never be able to just move an SD card to another phone and have those apps available.

Given that the S3 comes with, at a minimum, 16GB, you should have plenty of space. Having said that there are some apps (games) that have multi GB files that are usually downloaded separately. I think from what I've read that you do need to be rooted to be able to move these files, and even then, the method only works for some publishers.

Reactions: kanezfan
Upvote 0
OK thank you. It's not a huge deal as I don't have a ton of apps and I'm assuming that when I upgrade in two years, the Play store will have a list of the stuff I already own and I'll be able to just download it all again. I love that I can add storage to this thing though, never going back to Apple.

Upvote 0
OK thank you. It's not a huge deal as I don't have a ton of apps and I'm assuming that when I upgrade in two years, the Play store will have a list of the stuff I already own and I'll be able to just download it all again. I love that I can add storage to this thing though, never going back to Apple.

Yes, it will. In addition if you decide to root then you'll be able to back up your apps and restore them on a new phone in a matter of minutes.

I have had a 32GB Xoom tablet for a year and a half now and have thrown hundreds of apps on it with total abandon and I still have 8GB free. Also have about 8GB of music on it as well.

Welcome to the happy side!

Upvote 0
Hi .. i have just bought galaxy note 10.1 and moved some books and pics from internal memory to the external memory ...

open "My Files" /Root, browse to the folder containing the files you wish to transfer, tap "Select",check the box for the files to copy from SD Card, tap "Copy", tap the "up Arrow" top line (to get back to /Root),tap "External_SD", browse to the folder you want to copy the files to, tap "Paste" :)

Upvote 0
Hi .. i have just bought galaxy note 10.1 and moved some books and pics from internal memory to the external memory ...

open "My Files" /Root, browse to the folder containing the files you wish to transfer, tap "Select",check the box for the files to copy from SD Card, tap "Copy", tap the "up Arrow" top line (to get back to /Root),tap "External_SD", browse to the folder you want to copy the files to, tap "Paste" :)

The 10.1 tablet may be quite different from the phone - using this simplistic method on the phone would result in apps that no longer worked. I am not all that clear as to whether this change came about becaus of the Adroid software, or the manufactures implementation of it, but you certainly cannot do this on a galaxy S3 unless you root the phone first. It is quite possible that on a tablet you may be given root administration rights as you have on computers.

Upvote 0
We need a choice of where to install applications, we have needed this for a long time now.

But since Google devices don't have sdcards it's not a priority for them so Samsung, HTC and others will have to find a solution.

I'm aware of directory binds but this shouldn't be required, it would be like Windows forcing me to install everything on the C drive.

Can somebody guide me how to use directory Bind ... Root and from where i can get it installed
I just have a 2Gb Internal space

Thanx

Upvote 0
No reason to move apps to SD in ICS anyways, the whole internal storage is available for app installation.

Yes there is.

My spotify music collection is about 9GB. All has to be stored on internal memory (Yes I've tried the workaround and it deleted all my files)

This does NOT leave me much space on the Internal memory does it?

The single worst feature of the S3. Advertise "External SD card" space available but negelct to mention that only videos, photos and mp3s can be stored on it.

Upvote 0
I don't see why an app stored on an SD card cant be RUN in internal memory, which after all is a temporary status.

Secondly even if this is the reason there have always been some apps where it was marked impossible to move to SD so that takes care of apps that need internal memory.

There will still be a lot of apps that do not need to hog space on the internal memory.

Actually since it is often stored data (like large music collections in Spotify) why isn't it possible to set the data to be stored on external SD. In the same way how can I force apps like my devices camera to save files to the external SD. OK I know I can move them there afterwards but it would be so much easier if I could set the storage location in the first place (if this can be done please describe the process) What about other folders such as downloads etc.

It strikes me that Android needs something similar to the excellent Windows libraries that are in 7 and 8.:)

I am still firmly of the opinion that the reason Google have dropped this support for moving apps to SD, is to increase the sale value of devices with larger internal memories - costing many times the value of the space on a micro sd. Interesting that this came about as Google moved itself into the hardware market! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones