1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apps crash on pixel 2

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hmchughtai8, Jan 19, 2018.

1. hmchughtai8

hmchughtai8 Lurker
    None

Jan 18, 2018
    My apps crash a lot on pixel 2

Advertisement

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Android Expert

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    Have you tried a clear cache on the device?

3. hmchughtai8

hmchughtai8 Lurker
    None

Jan 18, 2018
    No, how do i do that? I'm an iPhone user just shifted to pixel 2 and idk I'm just not impressed by the phone

4. Dannydet

Dannydet Android Expert

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    I don't have a pixel 2, but on most phones, you power off, then hold down both power and volume down button.
    You'll then get a drop down menu, choose clear system cache, by using the volume down, then power button again to choose it, and let it do it's thing, may take up to 15 minutes, then choose reboot.

5. psionandy

psionandy Android Expert

Dec 5, 2009
    Male
    Gizmonic Institute - mug in a yellow jumpsuit
    liverpool
    Also I'm assuming you're downloading all your apps from the play store....

codesplice likes this.
  6. hmchughtai8

hmchughtai8 Lurker
    None

Jan 18, 2018
    Most of them, I just downloaded popcorn time from the internet

7. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Oct 29, 2013
    Male
    SysAdmin
    Huntsville, AL
    The Pixels don't actually have a /cache partition thanks to the dual-slot partition scheme. Rather than unpacking an update to the /cache partition, Slot B gets the update applied while Slot A is running. You then just reboot to switch slots - which has the added benefit of a failback if the new update fails to boot. No /cache needed.

Second, please don't download apps from the internet unless you can absolutely 100% trust the source. That is by far the #1 way to pick up malware. I only get my apps from the Play Store, from the app developer's website, or from apkmirror.com. Don't venture outside of those three and you shouldn't run into any malware problems.

Is there a pattern to what apps are crashing and when? If any stock (Google) apps are crashing, you can try rebooting into Safe Mode to test if one (or more) of your installed applications are interfering somehow.

Hadron and psionandy like this.
  8. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    I've been using a Pixel 2 since October and have barely had a single app crash - which is impressive when you consider that many of my apps are much older than the OS I'm running. So there's clearly something different that you are doing. Can you tell us some of the apps you are having trouble with?

(Of course app crashes are more visible in Android - in iOS you just find yourself back on the home screen, and I suspect that many people assume they accidentally touched the home button and don't realise the app has crashed).

psionandy and codesplice like this.
  9. hmchughtai8

hmchughtai8 Lurker
    None

Jan 18, 2018
    I downloaded popcorn time from the original website, and I got some errors like System UI crashed, there's this bank app that always crashes, I downloaded it from Google play store.

10. codesplice

Oct 29, 2013
    Male
    SysAdmin
    Huntsville, AL
    Note that Popcorn Time is an app specifically designed for piracy. The developers of such apps often don't really have any incentive to comply with Google's guidelines for how Android apps should behave - after all, such apps will never be available in the Google Play Store. It's quite likely that their app is using outdated code, resulting in crashes while running on the latest-and-greatest version of Android available. I'm not saying that's the case with this app, but it's worth considering. I'd suggest that you reach out to their technical support for resolving your issues with the app.

And unfortunately banking apps fall into another category of apps that are often poorly-coded and crash-prone. Again, I'd recommend that you reach out to the developers; you can find their email address on the app's listing in the Play Store.

LV426 and Hadron like this.
  11. hmchughtai8

hmchughtai8 Lurker
    None

Jan 18, 2018
    okay I'll do that and also my phone freezes while typing, it gets stuck, how do I resolve this?

12. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Just as an experiment, try running in safe mode. That disables user-installed apps - my guess is that something you have installed is causing the problem, and if it doesn't happen in safe mode that will confirm it (assuming you've not modified the system software, e.g. rooted the phone, since changes to system will still be present in safe mode).

codesplice likes this.
  13. Britnit

Britnit Lurker
    None

Feb 19, 2018
    Hi, I'm having the same problem with apps crashing on my pixel 2. So far it's Facebook, relax melodies, and Baby Center apps that crash all the time. I've tried updating them, reinstalling them, restarting my phone, clearing the cache. Any other ideas? I'm getting tired of this phone. So many problems compared to my Samsung.

14. codesplice

Oct 29, 2013
    Male
    SysAdmin
    Huntsville, AL
    Have you tried clearing the data for the affected apps?

Hadron likes this.
  15. Julia357

Julia357 Lurker
    None

Mar 13, 2018
    Female
    I am facing the same problem with pixel 2. Suddenly apps started to crash even when I reboot in Safe Mode. (Some are Google apps some aren't) I tried clearing cache and reinstalling but nothing seems to work.

16. codesplice

Oct 29, 2013
    Male
    SysAdmin
    Huntsville, AL
    Have you tried clearing the data for the apps which are crashing?

Uninstalling/reinstalling seems like it should accomplish that but in fact many/most apps will actually restore some amount of data upon reinstall. If that data is corrupted somehow it will cause the same problem to reoccur. Clearing an app's data makes sure that it's really starting from a fresh state.

Hadron likes this.
  17. Julia357

Julia357 Lurker
    None

Mar 13, 2018
    Female
    I did but they still crash.
    I thought it was a storage issue so I freed up some space but it didn't work.
    Gmail, Google search, psiphon, Quora, adpbA reader and few other apps crash instantly.
    Prior to the problem I installed two apps from Apkure could it have anything to do with it?
    Sometimes I get a message that Android is updating in the background but it doesn't. I have been facing issues with updates since I got the phone.

18. codesplice

Oct 29, 2013
    Male
    SysAdmin
    Huntsville, AL
    If the issues continue in Safe Mode and clearing data for individual apps hasn't helped then it might be time to consider a factory reset. Try first setting up the phone without restoring your apps and data to make sure that the crashes are resolved. If that works, you can either reset again with restoring your apps and data or (preferably) manually set things back up to make sure you don't restore any old/corrupted data.

psionandy likes this.