1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

apps deleting themselves from home screen

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by boxermansr, Jul 31, 2011.

1. boxermansr

boxermansr Member

Just returned my evo 3d for the photon, kind of regretting it now... anyhow, seems when i add a program to the home screen, if i move it to another place on the same screen, and move it back to where it was before, it erases... im adding it by opening the app drawer holding on the app i want to add and hitting "add to home".. seems to happen with every app i do this with.. if i add one and move it to the bottom of the screen, say to move another app into its place its okay, but if i try to move it back to where it was originally it just vanishes, even w/ a restart. anyone else have this happen?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. urcstar8

urcstar8 Lurker

I notice the same thing, try to figure it out now.

3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Try instead to install by long-pressing the spot on the home screen desired?

Will that bring up your widget/settings/app/folder menu?

4. shawheim_a

shawheim_a Android Enthusiast

When I had my photon I noticed this also. What I figured out is that if it was an app that I had moved to the SD card it would magically disappear. Once I moved it back to the phones storage it would remain. Maybe this is the issue.

Jay47 likes this.
  5. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

On HTC's this manifests as a generic icon vs. a the real one.

If what you're saying is the real reason here then the symptoms are different but the problem is the same - timing for when the icon info is accessed off the sdcard partition.

You'd think we'd have a fix for this sort of nonsense, given that the native capability has been around in Froyo for well over a year.

6. eversontx

eversontx Newbie

yes I think this is an issue in Gingerbread. The same problem happened with the 3VO and would just turn the icon to a generic green icon. I'm sure an update is being worked on to fix this. Until then you can put the apps that aren't on your home screen on the SD card and just keep the others on the phone's memory

EarlyMon likes this.
  7. jneil

jneil Lurker

I have a nexus s and the same thing was happening to me. So I experimented a little and I found out that it only happened when I had a folder on one of the home screens. It didn't matter which home screen. It affects all screens. So now I just can't have folders, which is sometimes a pain, but it hasn't happened since.

8. wubbie075

wubbie075 Android Enthusiast

Try adding a shortcut instead of the app

9. edlex

edlex Android Expert

I had this happen with the Dolphin browser. I added the icon to the dock but when I moved dolphin to the media folder, upon a restart, the icon would turn into a question mark and not allow access to the app. I had to re download it to get it to work. Once I didn't move it to the media folder it hasn't malfunctioned.

10. TigerC10

TigerC10 Newbie

I've noticed that when an app that came preinstalled (like Youtube) gets updated through the android market, it removes the icon from the home screen. This might have more to do with being moved to the SD card after update that was mentioned previously.

Motorola Photon 4G Forum

The Motorola Photon 4G release date was August 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 2 AP20H processor, and 1700mAh battery.

August 2011
Release Date
Reviews