• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Apps draining battery

JLeslie

May 6, 2010
Since I got my Nexus from Sprint at Christmas, there have been a few times where the Google Play Store was using a lot of battery. I found that it could be stopped by powering down and back up.

This morning I got the update to 4.2.1 and since then I've noticed that the battery usage (in settings) is at 23% for the Google Play Store and 20% for the Launcher. It also lists the Screen for 21% but I'm used to seeing that. I've never even noticed the "Launcher" before so I don't know if that's new with 4.2.1 or else it was using so little battery before that I didn't notice it.

I've powered down and back up twice now but they don't change. Is there some way to reduce the battery usage of the Play Store and Launcher to my battery isn't drained partway through the day?

JL

that is not normal at all. not sure exactly what to do other than a factory reset. seems something is causing some serious problems.

i am on 4.2 with no unusual battery draining issues.

maybe try another launcher app (apex or nova) and try disabling the stock launcher (settins>applications>all > find the launcher/home and disable it.

Upvote 0
Not sure why the launcher could be creating such a drain. Do you have a lot of live widgets? perhaps one is stuck refreshing? I'd try deleting any widgets and see if that helps.

As for the play store, I am wondering if you've got a "stuck" update. I've had it happen where an update just won't download and it just hangs. Go into the play store and go to "my apps" and see if there is anything updating.

Upvote 0
I have a couple of live widgits but this problem didn't occur until after the upgrade from 4.1.1 to 4.2.1. After a couple of power downs, the problem seems to have corrected itself as the launcher and play store aren't showing as battery hogs. I'm going to keep at eye on it though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones