1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Apps for Managing Notifications

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jmccraney, Jan 4, 2012.

1. jmccraney

jmccraney Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2012
    Just got a shiny new Skyrocket (my first android) and I'm having some fun getting moved in. However, despite all the customization options available, I have not found a way to configure the notifications to my liking. It's a multi-part problem so I think the best way to go about this would be to list off all the changes I would like to make. If I could find an app or two to solve my problems that would be ideal, but it seems like it might require a different rom, so I would be open to that possibility of necessary. Anyway here's what I would like to do:

• Disable battery notifications: I have a PowerSkin case with the second battery, so I don't need to know that the battery is 100% charged. In addition, the phone switches from external to internal battery several times as it drains the last of the external battery and I would like to disable these notifications.
    • Block certain notifications: I haven't come accross a lof of other everyday notifications yet that are particularly worrisome but after the battery issues I can see that this may come in handy. At this point it's not a priority.
    • LED notificaiton equivalent: I know there are apps (that require rooting) that can use the buttons as notification lights. Are there ways to do this or a similar function that do not require rooting? If other solutions here require rooting/roms then this will be irrelevant.
    • Don't activate screen on notification: According to battery usage tracker, the screen eats up over half of my battery. If I could minimize this by preventing the screen from lighting up when I have a new notificaiton (again brought to my attention by the battery indicators) I think I could save some battery life, but of course I will need to get an LED replacement working.

As you can see this is not really as extensive a problem as the list would indicate, but there may be multiple ways to approach it. I am not yet familiar enough with the Android OS or with the roms available to weigh the pro's and con's, so I will take all the help I can get! Thanks.

Advertisement

2. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    1. Not without root
    2. Controlled at each application. Open app menu disable
    3. As far as I know root is required
    4. Disable stock messaging app notifications and use an alternative like hand cent or chomp

3. jmccraney

jmccraney Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2012
    1. Ok, so what are my options with root for disabling the battery messages? Would I have to install a new ROM or are there apps that could help me out?
    2. In settings > applications? I'm not seeing it, am I in the wrong place?
    3. Alright, thanks for the confirmation.
    4. Am I understanding you right that only the battery, sms and phone should activate my screen?

Thanks for the help!

4. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    1. Files could be removed (I need to research this) or from with battery notification must be flashed. There may also be a flashable zip

2. Each app has its own setting for notifications.. simply uncheck to turn off
    4. Theoretically yes, though some market apps may do this as well

5. jmccraney

jmccraney Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2012
    Ok, anything I should be doing to look into for the battery notifications? I don't know where to start.

6. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder

I am not certain how to do it.. but I know many of the developers on xda have removed it

7. jmccraney

jmccraney Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2012
    Ah I see, looks like it will be simple after a bit of learning. Thanks for all your help!

Mr. Ed likes this.
  8. Midiman

Midiman Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 1, 2012
    Male
    Professional musician, photographer, computer prog
    Upstate, NY
    Hmm. My screen never automatically lights up except for a text message or a battery fully charged message. The text message auto-on would be handy if the screen stayed on for more than 4 seconds. I never have time to get to it to slide the screen lock. Wish I could eliminate the screen lock screen entirely.

9. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    I use the app no lock from the market.

There are also two other options if you are rooted..

Use titanium to freeze lockscreen

You can also use widget locker to disable the stock lockscreen then disable widgetlocker however this method makes the least amount of sense... widget locked is a paid app

10. jmccraney

jmccraney Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2012
    I personally like the extra security of having a password in case I lose it, but I agree that it's less convenient. My solution was to use tasker to set a half hour timer after i turn off the screen before the security screen pops back on. If you haven't used tasker you should definitely look into it.

11. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    Tasker os awesome but The stock system allows for this level of customization.

Menu.settings.location and security

Once you have set the pin, change the time out

Immediately-30 minutes are the choices.

The screen is locked after that set time OR when one manually locks it with the screen on/off button (power key)

For instance...a pretty slick easy access set up that conserves battery

No lock
    Pin lock with your 30min or whatever time out
    A display time out of 15-30 seconds

Screen will shut off after 15-30 seconds of inactivity bit will not lock for 30 minutes
    During that 30 mins, when one turns screen on there would be no swipe screen....no pin lock