• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Apps for rooted stock rom

Hunterbeav

Android Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2010
Notheast Ohio
I would like to root but want to keep stock rom. I want to keep Sprint navigation, camera, 4G and so on..... you get the picture. But would also like to get some apps like wireless teather and get rid of some bloatwear. Are there any other cool apps out there for someone like me that wants to root but not go all the way yet. As I get more familiar with this whole process I will go deeper. Thanks for any input. Jim

You can use Titanium Back up to freeze or uninstall the bloatware... And its also a valuable tool for backing up your apps and data especially if you ever decide to change roms in the future.

Also you might want to look into a Rom like Fresh because its pretty close to stock but with improvements and it comes with all the features you mentioned including the wireless tether app.

Upvote 0
You can use Titanium Back up to freeze or uninstall the bloatware... And its also a valuable tool for backing up your apps and data especially if you ever decide to change roms in the future.

Also you might want to look into a Rom like Fresh because its pretty close to stock but with improvements and it comes with all the features you mentioned including the wireless tether app.
Thanks Jay can fresh be used on any evo , I have heard that on the newer evo's flashed roms need to be based on the 3.70 platform. does that make sense

Upvote 0
Thanks Jay can fresh be used on any evo , I have heard that on the newer evo's flashed roms need to be based on the 3.70 platform. does that make sense

Yeah, Fresh can be used on any Evo... To install the newest version though you have to install the new radios...

Here is the link for the new radios provided for the rom:

Radio, Wimax, NV, and PRI (new with this release. flash after upgrading the rom or download from Fresh Updater): http://geekfor.me/evo/radio/freshevo...diowimaxprinv/

And here is the link to the main post regarding Fresh rom:

[ROM] 12/21/10 | Fresh Evo 3.5.0.1 | [Insert Witty Tagline] | New OTA Base - xda-developers

Upvote 0
If you already have the 3.70 OTA, you can flash a ROM based on 3.70 with no worries about the radios. If you have an older OTA, you'll need to flash the radios separately. I recommend using this link, instead of some of the others floating around:

[ Radios ][ 12-17 ] All EVO Radio, WiMAX, PRI, NV & HBoot versions - xda-developers

Not only can you flash them with a combo update, but you can flash them separately, if you wish. Plus, you can downgrade them if something goes wrong.

As far as root-only apps are concerned, there is a pretty good list in the rooting for dummies sticky. If you want a more comprehensive list, search the market for "root". If you do that, do a little research on an app before installing it. There's a reason these phones come locked down ;).

Upvote 0
If you already have the 3.70 OTA, you can flash a ROM based on 3.70 with no worries about the radios. If you have an older OTA, you'll need to flash the radios separately. I recommend using this link, instead of some of the others floating around:

[ Radios ][ 12-17 ] All EVO Radio, WiMAX, PRI, NV & HBoot versions - xda-developers

Not only can you flash them with a combo update, but you can flash them separately, if you wish. Plus, you can downgrade them if something goes wrong.

As far as root-only apps are concerned, there is a pretty good list in the rooting for dummies sticky. If you want a more comprehensive list, search the market for "root". If you do that, do a little research on an app before installing it. There's a reason these phones come locked down ;).
I do have the 3.70 update so your saying if I do flash a Rom make sure it is a 3.70 based Rom and things will be smoother. Thanks everyone for all the help

Upvote 0
I do have the 3.70 update so your saying if I do flash a Rom make sure it is a 3.70 based Rom and things will be smoother. Thanks everyone for all the help

It means you don't have to mess with flashing new radios (until there is a new OTA). "Smoothness" is dependent on the ROM you flash. Most ROMs are being updated to 3.70. Here's a full list of available ROMs:

HTC Supersonic/ROMs - XDA-Developers

You can see in the fourth column what each one is based on. Since you already have 3.70, you should stick with ROMs that are based on it. If you want to try one based on 3.30 or under, either wait until it gets updated to 3.70, or, at the very least, downgrade your PRI. That probably sounded like a mouthful if you're new to this, so, the short version: stick with ROMs based on 3.70, and you'll be good to go.

Reactions: Hunterbeav
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones