• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Force Closing...

Wiskid

Dec 31, 2009
Madison, Wi
I'm starting to get a bit agitated... Lately, after installing an app (no specific app, just any) and after I do a soft reset, I get all kinds of Force Close errors on bootup. Some of them include:

com.coremobility.app.vnotes
com.htc.music
com.google.android.apps.maps
com.google.process.gapps

And occasionally com.*.phone

This renders my phone useless as I cannot connect to 3g or make a simple phone call.

This is actually the third occurrence of these force close errors which I have encountered. The past two times it has happened, I simply uninstalled the last 3-4 apps which I had installed prior to the errors. Kind of annoying, as they were decent apps which I could have used. Am I going to have to reboot after installing a single app just to see if it causes force closing on bootup?! Annoying!!!

Thanks!

@Danokan

Thanks for the fast reply. I do, in fact, run Advanced Task Killer. I'll uninstall that garbage and give it a try. What's a good alternative to close unwanted apps? I heard "Close Everything" is decent...?

@Danokan and tatonka_Hero

I've read the 70 app limit in other places before. But I don't think I'm anywhere near 70. If I am, I'd be impressed lol. I'll have to count.

I'll get back to you to see if the Adv. Task Killer un-installation works...

Upvote 0
Alright guys... So apparently I did have 70 apps. Go figure. I had no idea I was anywhere near that. Time to uninstall some soundboards (LOL). I uninstalled a couple more apps, and rebooted, and BOOM... It worked.

I just have a habit (somewhat of an OCD thing going on) of closing all apps when I know the screen is going to be off for an elongated period of time.

So your saying that even if there is 20 apps open in the background, and only like 20 megs of RAM left, the battery life will not be altered?

Thanks, again!

Upvote 0
I agree that task killers will cause problems. I use an app called commantalb that shows running apps (not processes) and lets me easily switch between them. It also allows you to exit an app that otherwise runs in the background (usually browser or settings.) This doesn't kill the task, but sends the end commend to the app. Doesn't cause negative effects and closes apps that have no exit key. I also use bar control to keep an icon in the notifications bar for easy access. Also, background processes don't affect battery, especially when you let the phone sleep for long periods of time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones