1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apps/games to EXTERNAL sdcard

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by javacookies, Jan 1, 2012.

1. javacookies

javacookies Lurker
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    good day, I'm new to android things. I'm actually from iOS for the past 4 yrs.
    I have Samsung Galaxy W and it only have 2gb of internal storage.
    i know about apps2sd or the option to move to sdcard. i used both of them. I tried it for plants vs zombies to move to sdcard and it worked! I saw the difference to my external storage but PvZ is a different case because it's apk includes the whole game unlike other big games like gamelofts that require additional downloads. I tried moving gta3 and other gameloft games to sdcard but i think only the app itself was moved not including the data files.I tried moving their data files to /external_sdcard/Android/data but the game don't detect it, What I don't understand is Xperia Play only has 400 mb and Galaxy Ace I think only have 100+mb so how do they install big games? I'm sorry for my long post but I'm seriously running out of memory. I'll really appreciate if someone would clear these thing sto me Thanks

Advertisement

2. darkuni

darkuni Android Enthusiast
    None

I'm afraid you've run into one of the major issues why cell phones don't make the best portable gaming devices. Well, that and horrible controls. :)

The bottom line is that game developers cannot rely on the availability, speed, size, etc. of external resources, so they use what is "guaranteed" - and that is wherever /sdcard/ is mounted.

I've heard of people rooting their phones and CHANGING the mount point of /SDCARD/ to actually BE the SDCARD, but it isn't easy and if you ever have issues with the SD, it can affect the whole phone.

Sorry, I know that isn't the answer you were looking for....

3. javacookies

javacookies Lurker
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    thanks for the reply. i appreciate it :)
    but if rooting is the only way, how do Xperia Play users install games? with only 400+mb?
    move to sdcard really works but not on games downloading data to sdcard/android/data

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Not sure for you, but on my phone (Galaxy S -LCD version), whenever I try to download additional data, it asks me where I want to put it, (SD card or phone). Also, on my little sister's phone, a Galaxy Fit, whose internal memory only has 128mb, those large downloads automatically go to the SD card.

5. darkuni

darkuni Android Enthusiast
    None

This might be part of why they call them "Xperia Optimized" games. Maybe by default they are made to LOOK for external memory and use it.

JUST A GUESS ...

6. javacookies

javacookies Lurker
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    i have backstab and it doesn't ask me if i want to put data files in sdcard or phone. actually it won't let me download because I only have about 200mb left. I'm thinking maybe the phone was configured as no external sdcard because i just recently bought one. maybe I should factory reset and reinstall stuffs?

7. Guamguy

Guamguy Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    You have to put a big SD card. A lot of the game apps are really installers, that once installed on the phone, will beging a secondary installation of the main game itself. A good example of this is the Japanese RPG game Spectral Souls, which is a PSP port. The installer is like 10mb or so, but the entire installation will put like 1GB into your external SD card.

8. javacookies

javacookies Lurker
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Yah I know that, Modern Combat 3 also downloaded like 700+mb and was extracted to my external sdcard but others doesn't. Rela Racing 2 and Backstab wants me to clear some memory because they need almost 1gb and my external sdcard definitely have that :( I really want to fix this now because I'll be out for 5 days and I want to play lots of games...not just MC3 and emulators :(

9. javacookies

javacookies Lurker
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    so no one here can help me? am i the only one experiencing this? i'm new to android so why does this have to happen to me? LOL

10. flamer

flamer Member
    None

Aug 22, 2011
    You might be interested in an app called Link2SD, instead of moving the app file to the sd card like APP2SD does, it creates a symlink in the internal phone memory for the app file, the lib files and the data files and then puts all those files onto a partition on the SD card. I saw a massive improvement in internal memory space when I went from APP2SD to LINK2SD.

11. dalezander

dalezander Newbie
    None

Feb 23, 2012
    i have the same problem. i think you mean why it doesn't intall on external sd card. i have contract killer and fl commando and it ask me where to install the additional resources for the game, internal or sdcard.? sdcard is the phones internal memory and it differs to external sd card.

to anyone, how to install additional resources to external sd card?