1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apps & giving away a phone

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by DarkStarDeity, Jul 26, 2011.

1. DarkStarDeity

DarkStarDeity Lurker
    None

Jul 26, 2011
    I'm looking at replacing my HTC Desire with a newer model Android phone and then giving the HTC to my fiance (thus bringing him over from the darkside as a current iPhone user :)

So my question is, can I leave any/all of my existing apps on the phone and just give it to him, or do I need to factory reset it and then he'll need to re-install anything that he wants? Obviously I'll be removing my accounts from registration in the phone, but can the apps themselves stay? If we keep any of the apps on there, will they update properly from the market, or will they end up in limbo because they're attached to my account not his? What about purchased apps, do I need to do anything special with those?

Advertisement

2. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    Welcome to AF DarkStarDeity!

Apps are tied to the main google account on the phone, though mutiple accounts support is coming soon I think.

So for now you'll have to reinstall what you need/want. You can always try a backup like My backup Pro, or Titanium Root but they require root to work best. They have both free and paid versions available and both provide pretty robust backup options. But, like I said you would need root to backup most apps.

If you simply want a list of apps you can use my app Listables (free, link in signature). With Listables you can email him an HTML list of apps with links he can click to be taken to the download page in the market app.

There are also others, so please dont feel any pressure to use my app, not trying to push it on ya :) it but it comes to mind when people ask about this.

Edit: Astro and some of the other "file manage/exporer" apps might be able to back up some apps

hth

3. DarkStarDeity

DarkStarDeity Lurker
    None

Jul 26, 2011
    Thanks for that alostpacket. I take it then that you wouldn't recommend trying to keep any apps on the phone but would do a factory reset before handing it over?

4. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    I would do a factory reset just because otherwise the phone is still tied to your email account. He would have access to all your email and anything you've got tied to your Google account. He'd also be able to buy apps and you would have to pay for them.

alostpacket likes this.
  5. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    yep, what the anon guy said :)