• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mods Apps: How Does Android Know Which Are Installed? [Root only]

PeteCress

Android Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2010
Paoli PA, USA
Or.... The Real Question:

If I root my N7000 - where most of the apps have been moved to external SD - and then put another ROM on it, will the mod system magically know about the apps? i.e. is there some sort of startup scan?

OTOH, if I do what seems tb the prudent thing and just reinstall all my apps, will problems arise because of the previously-installed vesions on the external SD card?

First thing that occurs to me is that maybe I'm burning bridges. i.e. I image the stock system, install the mod, then decide I want to go back to the stock system...

If you simply root your device, then it will generally have no affect on your apps.

I'm not sure what you mean by putting a "mod" on your phone. The term "mod" is very generic and can mean a lot of things.

I think what you mean to say is ROM, like "cyanogenmod" or "AOSP". Then it will most likely erase all of your local apps, and delete all internal information held about sdcard apps. You should backup with a program like Titanium.

"will problems arise because of the previously-installed vesions on the external SD card?" It is unlikely, but possible. Back your apps up, and if you want to be safe, delete/uninstall them.

I would agree that firstly making an image (nand backup) of your stock system is a good idea. Use your best decision.

And to answer the question in the title:
I ~think~ the location for apps installed info is /data/dalvik-cache/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones