1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

apps I can download

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sherry25, Jan 15, 2016.

1. sherry25

sherry25 Lurker

Not sure if this is the forum I need to be on but, is there an app you can download for Wi-Fi andstill be able to receive messages from your regular phone number? And also is there an app to see who has called you when you don't have service in case you miss an important call?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert

Plain text SMS text messages come through your cellphone connection and don't need WiFi. MMS text messages with photos emoji or other graphics require a collection, either WiFi or mobile data.

Calls missed while out of service range will show up in the Missed Calls list of visual voicemail or the caller can leave a standard or visual voicemail, whichever you use.

mikedt likes this.
  3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I think Google Voice can do that, if you're in the US. It will work over WiFi.

Crashdamage likes this.
  4. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert

^^^ Google Voice will, absolutely. Has worked for me for years.

mikedt likes this.
  5. psionandy

psionandy Extreme Android User

Depending where you are in the world, quite a lot of phone companies offer apps like this.

I'm on the Three network in the UK and use the Three wifi calling app which lets me get calls and messages over wifi when I'm in a signal blackspot at the back of my house.

mikedt likes this.
  6. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

I wish Verizon could offer that....

I noticed they filed a complaint with the FCC that it is unfair that they are being restricted from offering that feature, while AT&T and other carriers do offer it willy nilly. The playing field needs to be leveled out.

here in my home, I had to buy a special Mini-cell repeater from Verizon that connects to VZW via the internet. Why should I have to buy a special, dedicated WiFi repeater that pretends to be a Cell phone tower? It is all Legal Beagles making money hand over fist, and it needs to be stopped.

mikedt likes this.
  7. mikedt

mikedt 你好

It's also called a femtocell. Sometimes a problem is that the above 1GHz frequencies that they use, can't penetrate buildings too well, and things like reinforced steel concrete can be quite opaque to microwaves.

I certainly don't need a femtocell repeater. That's a shared China Mobile and Unicom tower, and the orange building is where I live. :thumbsupdroid:
    cell.jpg
    If that cell tower had been in the UK, they'd likely disguise it as a tree. Something like this...
    th.jpg

#7 mikedt, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    psionandy and ironass like this.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S5 release date was April 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 16MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2800mAh battery.

April 2014
Release Date
Reviews